Concrete guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a small mid terrace ex council house, and the whole row of houses has concrete guttering. It is definitely leaking, and one of our bedrooms seems to get a lot of damp and mould and I think it is possibly the guttering that is causing this?

A couple of questions - is it better to get it relined or totally replaced? Is there a massive difference in price?

And is it actually possible to get it replaced if the houses on either side will be keeping their concrete guttering?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Concrete? Or asbestos.

Wait until it is dry and then coat the inside of the guttering with two coats of roof repair paint. Will cost about £12.50.

Hi

Thanks for your replies
To be honest I'm not sure whether they are concrete or asbestos - just always have assumed they are concrete. They are the big heavy ones often seen on council houses that jut out loads from the wall if that helps?

Spoke to a guy on the phone this morning who is coming to quote on Wednesday - he mentioned fibreglass lining - does anybody have any experience of this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are concrete there could still be a problem with condensation when they are re-lined. This can be worse if the cavity has been filled.

Fibreglass lining would make a good long term repair but it's time consuming so won't be cheap. Coating the inner surfaces with a proofing compound is very cheap.

Fibreglass lining would make a good long term repair but it's time consuming so won't be cheap. Coating the inner surfaces with a proofing compound is very cheap.

These coatings don't bode well with large temperature changes though joe and have a tendency to fail rather too quickly on this basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back