Concrete roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ;) I have an outbuilding conected to the house. It is brick with a concrete slab type roof, must be about 7" thick. It has been coated with a black bitumin based paint but this is flaking. What would be the best way(and cheapest) to waterproof. I have thought about using battens and sheet boarding and then treat as a flat timber roof....Any ideas....regards...mike :D

Sponsored Links
Does it have a slope on it to help water run-off?

(7" RC roof? Is it an air-raid shelter?)

Hi John, yes it has a slight slope to allow water to run off. The roof is made up of concrete reinforced lintels. A neighbour resently removed his and replaced it with a pitched tile roof,it took him ages to break it up using a kango hammer so it is very thick......mike :)

Why not leave the concrete roof alone and put a pitch roof on top?

Sponsored Links
you must scrape off any loose and flaking roof covering,you must remove any signs of moss.unless you have a sound base to work with,anything you coat roof with,will not work,the best solution,is to paint the roof with bitumen primer and 3 layer felt it.personally i've never known these liquid roof coverings to be very successful.hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back