Concrete shed pad moved/sunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a concrete shed base - approx 7.5m x 3m, 200mm+ deep.

https://i.imgur.com/iOTfagV.jpg

At the time it was level, but a year later we are just about to put a prebuilt shed on it (no timber floor) and it is now 50mm out from one corner to another. Overall its slightly twisted rather than being a uniform drop.

The slab was put on 18tn of scalping which was compacted throughout instead of just the top layer. The ground level was ~400mm lower on the one side so this was done to build it up.

I'm trying to avoid raising the shed up any higher than it is as its already got extra height on it and the pad sticks proud of the surrounding soil.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to level it. A few ideas so far were...

1) Put a single brick layer around and get them levelled etc. This means a largish step through into the shed though (3x2 timer and brick) which we'd like to avoid. Though we could maybe bring the level up inside later.

2) Pour more concrete on top. I was told this would need minimum 2" on the high side?

3) Try to use self levelling compound(s). We had intended to use some inside, mainly to get a nice smooth finish. Not sure about weather proofing it whilst it dries out though.

4) Grind the slab back mostly level (then self levelling?). Not sure how feasible this is, its a good thick slab 200mm+ which I hope would help.

5) Jack it up slightly, dig in a new foundation/pile/retaining wall on the lowest end.

6) Mudjacking, underpinning or something similar.

There is obviously some concern it will move further but its probably done the majority so far? We have had small garden tractors/mowers and such parked on it under a portable car port (not big enough to cover the area), so some weight has been on it for the last year.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back