level ground for shed on tree roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
a friend of mine wants me to lay the ground for a shed they have on order. There is a slight slope that has thick tree roots on the surface . I'm wondering the best way to prepare a level ground surface to put the shed on .Its actually going to be a play home for his daughter and will need to be dry.The shed has an integral board floor.
Will I need to lay the shed on to a base of paving slabs and do these need to cover the whole floor area or can I get away with slabs just where the shed walls are, and whats the best way to contain the slabs on the slight slope does a frame of wood make sense so that I can build up to the horizontal flat level and float over the tree roots.
any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
The floor will be built on bearers. Don't bother with a base of slabs or other major construction, this is a small shed, not a block of flats. Put blocks down for the bearers to sit on, with about a foot spacing between the blocks. You only have to ensure each block is level Then you add packing on each block to make the lower ones the same height as the highest.

If you can't get a block in because there's a root there, you will have to build a decking type construction and put the shed on that. Don't float anything over tree roots, they will tear it apart.

thanks for that seems to make sense now. Just a quick couple of questionsw do I need to concrete the blocks in place or just ploace in ground and what would you use for packing to get the right levels
cheers :D

Sponsored Links
I'd lay them straight on the ground if they are 18 x 9 blocks. Packing is a layer of dpc, though that's debatable, then wood on top of that. Fine adjustment can be bits of dpc, but put them all on the blocks, not on the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back