Concrete Slab Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently building an attached garage along the side of the house, this will be 3 m wide by 8 m long.
I have complete the below ground brickwork to floor level, and I am almost ready to lay the slab.
However, I cannot see how to tamp the concrete along the side house itself, as it will against the wall.
How do I support the tamping board to ensure the floor remains level?
I suspect there is an obvious answer, but i cannot see it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Simon

Sponsored Links
The un-shuttered side needs to be tamped first using a spirit level and board. You then tamp the concrete to this using it as an effective screeder level.

If you were mixing it yourself you could mix this screeder concrete a bit stiffer or ask the wagon driver for some stiffer muck. This will stop the screeder concrete from slumping whilst you tamp to it.

Hi All,

I am currently building an attached garage along the side of the house, this will be 3 m wide by 8 m long.
I have complete the below ground brickwork to floor level, and I am almost ready to lay the slab.
However, I cannot see how to tamp the concrete along the side house itself, as it will against the wall.
How do I support the tamping board to ensure the floor remains level?
I suspect there is an obvious answer, but i cannot see it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Simon
if your brickwork is level by the side of the house that should give you a good guide, better to do it all in one go :cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies both, I can now see how it is done.

The brickwork on the house slopes by about 10 mm front to back and as you say I will not be able to see it once the dpm is down.

The new brickwork is level though, I guess I could use a line between the front and the back walls as a guide - allowing for sag in the line of course?

Is fastneattrowel's suggestion of cutting the dpm below floor level legit? :confused:

Many thanks
Ellwood

yes that is fine , another way is to fix a batten to the wall so the bottom of it is level with top of concrete and remove it the next day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back