Concrete Spurs for Fencing Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put in a concrete spur to support a fencing post (3" x 3" x 6')which has a 6' x 6' panel one side and 4' x 6' panel the other. I tried putting in a repair metal spur but it is not holding strongly enough. Can anyone tell me what size concrete spur I need, 3" x 3" x ??, and how deep does it need to go. Will I have to get up the old concrete which is there? Many thanks for any help. Dee.

Sponsored Links
You have a 6' panel so I reckon you will need (at least) a 4' spur, this will give you 2' in the ground and 2' bolted to the wooden post. Treat the bottom of the new post and try not to have it in contact with the ground, then it will last a long time.

It is a terrible job breaking up and taking a lump of concrete out of the ground when a wooden post has rotted, that's why I favour concrete posts and gravel boards. If you like, you can use dark brown masonry paint to help them blend in to the stained woodwork.

When you have got the old concrete out of the ground, you may have quite a big hole. This will always be loose, so unless you have an easily compacted soil, you may need to go a bit deeper (but not wide) so that the foot of your concrete spur is in firm ground. If the hole is very big, you may need a longer spur or extra concrete. With a fence, it is especially important to have good support to each side of the fence. Lengthways is less important as they don't blow over that way. Wet the ground and tramp or beat it down hard afterwards, before the winter storms come.

for neatness, you can put a box form round the top of the new post so that there is not a lot of concrete visible through the surface.

Thank you for all your help, I understand all that you say, I have a lot of work to do! Hopefully get it done soon before the winter weather starts. Thanks again. Dee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back