Concreting over existing concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old concrete base in my garden which I am wanting to extend and put a new layer of concrete over the bit already there. How should I go about it? anything to watch out for etc etc

Sponsored Links
The new layer going over the old needs to be at least 75mm thick, ideally 100mm and get the old bit super clean. A top job would be to roughen it up a bit too and pour on an sbr/cement slurry just before pouring the new stuff.

As for the new extended section, It will almost certainly crack at the join between the two unless you use steel mesh bridging over the joint by a a metre each direction.

Thanks for the tips one other thing that has cropped up is that I will need to put a layer of dpm over the existing and the new part, can I lay the dpm straight on the existing slab? That way I wont need to scabble it at all am I right? or use some spr?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back