Condensation at front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just moved to a new build bungalow and at the inside of the front door is a metal or aluminium part of the door frame at the bottom by the threshold which continually drips with condensation. There is a gap between the metal and the wooden threshold put in by flooring co to finish off the laminate that's been laid so the drips are constantly dripping down below floor level to I presume wooden sub floor. My concern is that over time this will rot whatever is below floor level. My husband says not to worry & just leave it but I'm not so sure. The door is in a vestibule with no radiator & floor was plywood below the laminate.
Any ideas as to what should be done? Should the gap be there at all? Would an aluminium threshold instead of wooden one help or make it worse?
Thanks.
I'll try to add a pic.

Attachments

• 15152360616081450630622.jpg
    15152360616081450630622.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 522
Sponsored Links
emmaamme, good evening.

In your post you note that you have just moved to a new build bungalow.

Can I suggest that you make contact with the Builder and have them sort out the problem? this problem may be classed as a snagging issue?

Question 1 ? do any of your neighbours report a similar issue? provided you live on a new build estate?

Question 2 ? is there another external door in the property with a similar problem? reason for this is that the door may be classed as defective??

Just some thoughts.

Ken

Thanks Ken,
We only moved in last month and have been making a snagging list so I'll definitely add it to the list and hopefully the builder will come up with something.
There is another external door in utility room and funnily enough condensation appears on metal at base of door frame there too. It's a different make of door to the front one. Moisture saturates the wooden beading there too. The flooring co are back on wed so was going to ask them to put in a metal bar there instead. Do you think that's a good idea rather than wooden beading which will probably rot?
Haven't managed to speak to any neighbours yet but you would think we wouldn't be the only ones to have this problem.

Attachments

• 15152721662701350820502.jpg
    15152721662701350820502.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Do you have a wider angle photo?

If disabled access was a requirement, UPVC doors with a low profile threshold may have been required. This is often achieved with an aluminium threshold instead of UPVC for strength.

If it's just condensation, you may be told to heat the area more!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back