Front door threshold seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We'veeve got an old wooden front door. It's got a wooden rain deflector on the outside bottom, and goes against a wooden threshold which is about a mile high (1.5cm), but the door just sits over it with no draught proofing.

It's old (maybe original, 120 years or so, not sure) and not very straight.

At some point someone has put wooden draught proofing down the sides which means when it is bolted shut at the bottom and on the lock at the top it at least goes flat against that on the sides. If I can get family approval from an aesthetic point of view I'll put some plastic and rubber draught proofing strip down that which will sort those out even when the door isn't bolted.

The bottom however I'm a bit flummoxed by - I guess I need something that attaches to either the wooden external threshold, or the bottom of the door, and seals the gap underneath. I've got about 1.5cm of space to play with so I'll have no problem fitting pretty much anything underneath the door, but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for - everything I find appears to be either a massive sweep thing that attaches to the inside of the door, already vetoed, or is designed to slot neatly into a matching metal threshold which is also a no go.

My best idea so far is to grab a couple of metres of extra external rubber plus aluminium seal, and screw some of that onto the inside of the wooden threshold and some onto the bottom of the door so they sort of mate up when closed but don't cause a trip hazard. Is there some specific product I'm missing that works better? Something like one of those flappy lift up door seals that mount on the front of the door but for mounting under the door, or a really hefty under door sweep or something?

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Weird, I tried to attach pictures earlier - here is what I all looks like. I need to seal between the bottom of the door and the wooden step that the rain deflector goes over. Is blowing like a gale through there, and the toddler keeps moving the draught excluder.
IMG_20201123_114619.jpg
IMG_20201123_114629.jpg
IMG_20201123_114612.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back