Fire Door needs a lower threshold bar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly/disabled mother recently had to have a new front door fitted a fire door in a communal hallway. The door was fitted by the housing association contractors.

It's a very nice door, however not suitable for a disabled person. One of the main problems is that a high threshold step has been fitted, previously the threshold was flush.

The housing association have been called out several times to see if the threshold level can be reduced or ideally made flush again. They are insisting that nothing can be done because the door is a fire door and needs a seal to prevent smoke etc. Perhaps the HA are just trying to fob me off?

The threshold strip that is fitted is shown below:
dy06.jpg

There is no seal fitted at the underneath of the door, just the main one at the bottom front.
Are there alternative threshold strips that can be used instead for a fire door, possibly with the main seal under the door?

Sponsored Links
has the 'optional rear ramp' been fitted?

Given it's been labelled as Part M compliant and wheelchair usable, I don't think you will find a more disabled-compliant threshold. 25mm is not regarded as a 'high' threshold.

I doubt a sliding seal on the base of the door would give adequate compression in a fire situation, unless it was intumescent, which would prevent the door being opened for rescue.

The problem is that my mother is blind and due to the threshold changing from a flush fitting to a 25mm heigh threshold, it is causing her problems.
The manufacturers are stating that the threshold is Part M compliant, but this is incorrect to conform to Part M the maximum height must not be higher than 15mm.

To be honest that is one of the lowest thresholds I have seen on a modern door. I have certainly never seen a 15mm.
I have seen them with bigger ramps that extend a few inch's both inside and out.

The only other option I could think of is if they cut a channel out of the floor so the whole frame could sit lower but this could cause problems with the doors drainage holes.

Sponsored Links
What is the problem that your mother is having?
I assume she has a wheelchair and is struggling to get over it? Is it more of a problem getting out than getting in or is it both ways?

What is the problem that your mother is having?
I assume she has a wheelchair and is struggling to get over it? Is it more of a problem getting out than getting in or is it both ways?

The problem is that my mother is 94 and a bit unstable on her feet, with this she is blind.

There are two problems with the door, the door closer that is fitted is very heavy to open the door, so she struggles to get the door open, with this she then has to be careful in case she trips over the threshold bar. Seems trivial but she is struggling with the new door and fitments.

The previous door was also a fire door with a low tension perko chain closer and no threshold bar, much easier to use.

My query is there an alternative system that could have been used for an elderly/disabled person without the use of a high threshold bar? Perhaps there isn't, but just checking first before I tackle the HA.

I think all modern doors have to have a threshold now so that they can pass testing for heat loss and drafts etc. Without a uniform bottom and seals there would be too much variation for a door to pass modern heat loss regs.

So Im afraid she will have to learn to live with a threshold but I totally sympathize with you.
I would say that a door she cannot open is not fit for purpose.
Ideally I guess they should fit an automated opener where you just press a button and maybe even build up the floor levels so they slope upto the threshold but getting them to do this is the problem.

I don't know the regs well enough to be able to help you Im afraid but hopefully someone here can help. I would also recommend posting on this forum:
http://forum.expertexpert.com/index2.php

The guy who runs it is a court expert in glazing/fenestration issues so hopefully he could make a recommendation or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back