condensation/damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of advice needed please.

We have just had a new sofa delivered. When i removed the old one, i noticed a bit of mould (only a bit, white spores) on the back and on the inside. Then I noticed the skirting board on my lounge wall was crumbling from the top about half a meter in from the kitchen wall. I have removed this bad bit. Everybody has said its dry rot, but it doesnt look like it! Yes there was a browny/reddy dampish dust where it was crumbling, but I couldnt see any white fur, and there were no fruiting bodies (there were a few what looked like insect holes in there, but no larvae or insects). The floorboards APPEAR to be ok, but I'm going to rip them up this weekend and look underneath.
there is a door frame on the adjacent kitchen wall and the frame is rotting under the paint. I am going to put a new lining in there.
It is an old terraced house with timber floors, apart from the kitchen which has a concrete floor.
2 questions really.
1. Does it sound like damp or condensation problems
2. Assuming its damp/condensation. How can i increase the sub-floor ventilation around where the concrete floor meets the lounge floor?

Sorry if I come accross as a bit of a noob. its because I am!

Thnaks in advance

Matt

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bit of rising damp rather than condensation, possibly due to a faulty (or more likely non-existent dpc). Although improved sub-floor ventilation is a good thing, it may not necessarily solve your problem if it is rising damp.
When you take the boards up, check the state of the floor joists where they go into the wall.

Any leaks in Kitchen? more likely just condensation, very prevalent in those old properties.Was the wall with the damp originally the outside wall and now extended?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back