1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Condensation in double-glazing - seriousness and options?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by d000hg, 18 May 2018.

1. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A 1930s/40s place we are looking to offer on has seemingly modern-ish UPVC double-glazing throughout, but in quite a few places there is condensation in the panels indication the seals have failed. I didn't yet count every single instance but the very large front room single panel was affected, as well as in several 2-panel windows one panel was bad but the other seemed OK.

It will affect our offer knowing what we need to spend - especially as it's a BTL so, firstly - other than cosmetic how important is it to get them fixed? Does it degrade U-values significantly? With quite a few gone it could be a largish job - but then you see people with windows like this who seemingly don't care.

Secondly, is it a case of replace the whole window, or pop in a new sealed unit, or are there repair options? I have no idea at all what it might cost me though I have looked up how much sealed glazing panels cost.

2. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can replace with sealed units , average price of sealed unit about £50, the larger the unit more it will cost , the units are quite easy to remove (especially the older style)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pretty easy to replace.

Id guess at £100 per unit to have somebody come and do it.

The unit value is much less, £50 is a good guide for a retail price.

Double glazing has a life span of 10 to 15 years if well made and fitted. Down to a year or so if not.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. How urgent is it to replace them - what are the ramifications of not doing it?

5. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nothing really, they just look a bit untidy. Will prob lower u value a bit. Not a lot unless they havr standing water in the bottom -Ive seen them with 6" of water, thats not so good for u value.

You always pick a few prominent ones and get them done

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As Notch says 6" of water in a unit is not unusual, make nice fish tanks add a few mollies or goldfish for interest