Condensation on one patio door but not the other.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help. Last summer one of the double glazed units of my double leafed patio doors 'blew' and naturally misted up between the the two panes. Got this renewed but now with the onset of the cold weather I'm finding that, on a morning, this new unit is covered in condensation but the other one is clear ???
Should add that the same thickness of safety glass was used and the same air gap and that the condensation is not between the two panes.
Can anyone help as the wife's doing her nut!

Sponsored Links
If is's any help my new french doors tend to mist on the outside some days. I'm guessing it may be that the insulation is better and so the ouside pane is much colder than the old patio door glass was.

The new unit gets the condensation on the inside so my guess is that the insulation is worse as the glass must be colder than the original one ?

Sponsored Links
Often as simple as which gets the sun first or is catching the prevailing wind the most.

Often as simple as which gets the sun first or is catching the prevailing wind the most.

I can see the reasoning behind this in certain locations but the doors in question do not get the sun until after mid-day and are hardly ever in the wind due to having a 6ft fence at right angles on one side and an extension at right angles on the other.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread of mine but now with the onset of colder weather I'm now finding I'm now back to the old problem of condensation on
just one door of a pair of patio doors. Yesterday morning the 'new' glass was
wet from top to bottom whilst the original glass in the other door had only an inch or so of condensation at the bottom. I would appreciate any further thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this. Thanks. :)

Possibly when it was replaced the new unit wasn't as good (cheaper) than the old one.

It may have a different make of low E glass (maybe none at all).
Possibly no argon gas in the unit.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell. The only people who may know would be the people who made the units but the chances of getting them to dig out the paper work for both will be slim.

You could buy a modern A rated spec unit, Warm edge spacers, Low E, Argon filled but you may then find that unit is even better than the old one and the other unit may then start getting the condensation.

I can see the reasoning behind this in certain locations but the doors in question do not get the sun until after mid-day and are hardly ever in the wind due to having a 6ft fence at right angles on one side and an extension at right angles on the other.
Is the new window further from the internal heat source than the old.

Possibly when it was replaced the new unit wasn't as good (cheaper) than the old one.

It may have a different make of low E glass (maybe none at all).
Possibly no argon gas in the unit.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell. The only people who may know would be the people who made the units but the chances of getting them to dig out the paper work for both will be slim.

You could buy a modern A rated spec unit, Warm edge spacers, Low E, Argon filled but you may then find that unit is even better than the old one and the other unit may then start getting the condensation.

Thanks for reply. This follows my line of thinking.If correct then obviously the solution would be to fit two identical A rated units so it's a toss up between further expense or drying the offending pane on cold mornings.
Hmmm. :(

You could just replace the one with a high spec unit and see how it gos. As long as you keep a note of the spec you buy, You could always replace the other one at a later date if needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back