Condensation or a Roof Leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the beginning of November I noticed a mark on the ceiling. Suspecting a leak, I got a roofer in to trace the source. He confirmed that the valley was defective and would need replacing. As the house was under 10 years old, I lodged a claim with the NHBC. The inspector from the NHBC said the mark was due to condensation.
How do I know which diagnosis is correct, please?

Sponsored Links
if it is condensation it will be all over the loft, mostly on the upper parts, and will be worse in cold dry weather and at night when the roof is cold.

If it is a leak it will be in one area in particular, and will be worse after rain even if the weather is mild.

Take lots of photos.

If your house is new then it will probably have fibreglass valleys and there was someone complaining recently about them causing condensation on his new roof.

The NHBC Report does mention a glass reinforced plastic valley gutter. This is damp and mildewy.

How much condensation would there need to be to create enough liquid to stain the ceiling, please? And why would the stain suddenly appear rather than gradually build up, please? And at a relatively warm time of year?

Sponsored Links
You should have breathable felt installed running down the valley before the valley troaths are installed. My guess off the top of my head would be to check if there is a lead saddle installed at the top of the valley

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I have attached a picture of the mark caused by the leak.
I know it is quite faint but I want to prevent it getting any worse.
Thanks for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back