Condensation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

During the winter months a vast amount of condensation builds up on our windows and drips onto the window ledges/floors.

We try to use extractor fans when using the bathrooms/kitchen and have even tried anti fog spray. This did help but did not eradicate the problem.

We live in a purpose build flat so we are unable to change the windows.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I read the link provided but I have unfortunately tried all of the suggestions listed.

As they do not appear to do the trick is my only option a dehumidifier?

As a rule of thumb, in case of condensation, increase ventilation. If that doesn't work, increase it some more.

IF you have increased the ventilation by opening the windows and trickle vents, and IF you have prevented excess moisture by always running effective extractor fans during and after a bath or shower, and IF you do not dry clothes indoors, then you can start looking at other sources of moisture, such as water leaks from roof, plumbing (including in loft and under floor) or waste pipes, or underfloor damp such as missing DPM, or a wet earth subfloor, or blocked airbricks, or damp walls due to bridged or missing DPC.

It will do no harm if you tell us the age of your property, what type it is, how it is constructed, how many people live there, how many baths and showers you have per week, and how it is ventilated.

Sponsored Links
The property is a purpose build block, it was originally constructed in 1969 and completely refurb'd in 2000. The construction is brick, there are two of us and we use the shower twice a day.

There is an extractor fan in each of the bathrooms and one in the kitchen above the oven. They are used every time. I do keep the windows open ajar but not at night if it’s cold. There are trickle vents open on all windows but I don’t know how effective they are.

It’s a fairly large property and the windows are huge in every room.

Hope this helps.

do you drape wet washing about the flat?

what floor are you on?

what happens to the moisture from the wet towels?

Unfortunately we dont have a garden so have to hang our washing on an airer in the flat. I do open the nearest window when this is done.

We are on the 4th floor of a block of 7.

the wet towels stay in the bathroom so i guess the extractor fan picks that up.

OK.

If you drape wet washing about the flat, then it will be damp and you will get condensation. The water has to go somewhere. You might as well throw buckets of water at the walls. Weigh the wet washing, and weigh it again when dry, and you will see how much. No-one can help you.

If you have an effective extractor fan in the bathrom, you can dry stuff in there with the fan running, and at least the damp will not spread throughout the rest of your home. You can buy a Centrifugal fan if you want, it will be quieter and more powerful than an ordinary Axial fan.

Ok I will try that and see if it gets any better. If not I will try a Centrifugal fan.

Thanks for all your help with this.

the wet towels stay in the bathroom so i guess the extractor fan picks that up.
Depends how long the fan is on for and is it working okay? you can do a smoke test for this.

If you worry about leaving the fan on too long then you can replace it with auto humidity sensing fan

:oops: sorry john didn't know its called centrifugal fan, always known it as humidity or condensation fan :rolleyes:

no, the centrifugal fan is what we used to call a snail blower, rather than having a thing like an aircraft propellor, it is a better method of shifting air, it need not also have a humidity sensor as well.

Same as matches but think it's called 'smoke matches' which test the efficiency of a chimney or extractor fan

ps: yes called smoke matches!

images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back