Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help with problem I've got and can't seem to resolve.

Live in a 2 bed flat and things I've recently done

• Replaced all rotten wooden windows with new double glazed units including trickle vents
    Installed cavity wall insulation
    Had soffit vents fitted all around

Don't have any central heating so just have a few convector heaters that we turn on when cold. Majority of the rooms are fine, but our back bedroom, which isn't used much constantly has wet windows and puddles on the window sill. The damp got to a state which a hole appeared in the wall of the window box and been repaired and plastic trim resealed but moisture is slowing causing the same problem again.

Somebody has been round and thought that maybe the glazing units where installed the wrong way round so changed one and hasn't made any difference, it was also suggested that I was conned and they weren't fitted with proper Pilkington K efficient glass which is now apparently a legal requirement. There are 4 soffit vents outside the window so plenty of ventilation.

Question therefore is whether there is anything else I can do and should I be putting heat into the room in the evenings when it's cold?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a lot of basic info on condensation and it's causes here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

If you can eliminate these causes as the source of your problem then it would be wise to see if keeping the room/s heated for a few days makes a difference. Other than that, you can use a dehumidifier which will absorb excessive moisture in the air. They vary in size and price from those used for single a room to those that will control the humidity in the whole house.

yep can't make up mind if heat is going to help or no. Can be very cold in there, flat drops to about 13C at the mo

Sponsored Links
You need a vent in the room on external wall. Heat can make condensation worse as hot air supports more moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back