condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you guys redecorate a wall with signs of condensation? I was thinking of lining paper and then kitchen / bathroom paint on top? Whould this do the job?

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is you can't or indeed should'nt, you should first both find and provide a cure regarding the condensation. Can you offer a little more info.

Dec

The issue is cooking (using pressure cooker) and not opening the window. But I have now been assured that the window is now being opened daily. I just want to make the place look presentable.

an extractor hood, or even an extractor fan, is likely to be better.

A pressure cooker does not make very much steam.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house or over radiators?

Sponsored Links
an extractor hood, or even an extractor fan, is likely to be better.

A pressure cooker does not make very much steam.

Drying wet washing around the house is possibly done, but I'm not sure (rented out property). But the condensation issue only started with the current residents, so I can't see an issue with the property it self. They admitted to not opening windows as it is cold.

they might turn on an extractor in preference to opening a window. Trickle vents are useful here.

Wet washing is the main cause of condensation, damp and mould in UK homes.

Yes, lots of people do, especially if they cannot afford to run a tumble dryer or lack the space for a washing line outside. They shouldn't, but they do.

Student tenants do it to a ridiculous degree! Basically they have far too many clothes and they change them several times per day.

Wet washing is the main cause of condensation, damp and mould in UK homes.
In combination with not using an extractor fan/opening window when cooking or showering

There is often a myth with regard to the opening of windows in order to stem the formation of condensation, yet this is not cast in stone, and only a general rule of thumb.

As an example, if the weather allows, it would be advisable to slightly open the ground floor windows, or indeed any trickle vents during the daylight hours. Then as night time approaches close them.

Again weather dependant, to do the same with the upstairs windows or vents during the night, using this method can and I mean can often help with the free passage of moisture before it can condensate.

Dec

There is often a myth with regard to the opening of windows in order to stem the formation of condensation, yet this is not cast in stone, and only a general rule of thumb.

As an example, if the weather allows, it would be advisable to slightly open the ground floor windows, or indeed any trickle vents during the daylight hours. Then as night time approaches close them.

Again weather dependant, to do the same with the upstairs windows or vents during the night, using this method can and I mean can often help with the free passage of moisture before it can condensate.

Dec

That does indeed sound sensible.

I don't think anyone was advocating flinging all the windows open fully day and night regardless of weather conditions. And there does seem to be a general ignorance about heating, ventilation and condensation amongst a lot of people, in my experience (as a landlord) - or perhaps simply a reluctance to let expensive heat out of a window!

Looking at similar myself. Have north facing bedroom with cold spots giving condensation and mould. We've done our best to eliminate the cause and now want to decorate.

There are some minor cracks in the surface of this wall and the celing has some awful paper, so we are looking to skim them both.

After that, have read about warmaline. Is this stuff any good? Can it be painted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back