Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our 1970s house suffers from a lot of condensation

We have installed a humid controlled fan in the bathroom but the rest of the house has mood forming and we do dry our clothes in the winter on the radiators due to not having any other choice but we cannot reduce the condensation

Our windows do not have vents on

Any advice

Sponsored Links
Draping wet washing around your home will cause condensation, damp and mould.

Saying you have no choice will not stop it.

If you have no garden to put a washing line, and can't afford a tumble drier, put a line over tha bath and leave the extractor fan running, with the bathroom door and window shut. The suction will prevent water vapour diffusing through your home.

Open the upstairs windows every day, from getting out of bed until you leave the house or make the beds.

If you have to dry your clothes on the rads you might have to live with the mould.

Hi, we've just had a single pane of double glazing replaced in our french doors and there is zero condensation, leading to no mould etc.

If we replace windows with better thermally efficient panels, then am I correct in thinking the water vapour will just find the next coldest surface and make that damp?

I'm guessing windows are the best place to gather moisture than walls or ceilings in that case?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, we've just had a single pane of double glazing replaced in our french doors and there is zero condensation, leading to no mould etc.

If we replace windows with better thermally efficient panels, then am I correct in thinking the water vapour will just find the next coldest surface and make that damp?

I'm guessing windows are the best place to gather moisture than walls or ceilings in that case?

Thanks
Yes, Yes and Yes.

Drying wet clothes on radiator, rots the radiators, and causes damp and mold to form on all cooler surfaces. If you have no better way, restrict your drying to one room, and use an effective dehumidifier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back