Conduit on mains coming out of ground into new concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I'm putting in a new insulated concrete slab floor (hardcore, concrete on DPM, then Jabfloor etc.) where currently there's a joisted wooden floor.

Just lifted some boards, and I have a mains supply lead pipe coming out of the ground (which is too massive a job to replace) and then it connects to 15mm copper with a couple of elbow joints in later on. I believe embedded pipes need to be 'pull-out-able' or accessible so I need conduit/ pipe in pipe/ trench and I believe no joints.

Could anyone please suggest a good/ correct approach here? Could I just attach the copper to plastic pipe and attach this to the top of the concrete slab, and Jabfloor over this? I guess I'd need to put a largeish conduit around the lead to copper join through the slab and into the ground to keep concrete away, then it would be relatively easily accessible through the Jabfloor and screed if required(?).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume its your water supply?

...and you state that its lead!!!! and your going to concrete it in :eek:

In my opinion you would be better spending your money on replacing this, lead pipes are not considered good for your health

...your local water board usually connect a new plastic pipe for free if you do the leg work and dig the trench and lay the pipe. - Phone and ask first as different areas have different proceedures

Hi- thanks for this. Yes, its water mains. I'm planning a conduit as the pipe comes up within a foot or so of the floor where the 10 cm concrete is proposed, so not planning to concrete a load of lead in, but connect to plastic. As for the lead, it used to run through the house, but has been replaced up to the front garden now. The waterboard have done tests locally and the lead in the water is insignificant, so I'm not planning to dig up the front garden!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back