Confused please help ! Vapour barrier on shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per other posts, I am currently building a 2sqm shed/playhouse. The frame is finished, and its time to get the roof and cladding on. Roof will be 11mm OSB covered in IKO super shed felt. The cladding is 19x100 treated loglap.

I’m not planning on insulating the building fully straight away, but would like to make sure I am able to in the future without too many problems. I have bought some vapour barrier from wickes, and was planning on wrapping the outside of the frame, followed by 19mm battens and then the cladding. This would give a gap between the barrier and the back of the cladding for moisture to evaporate and air to circulate. However, I ran this by the timber merchant who delivered the loglap - he also builds log cabins (quite high end, looking at +£20000 each custom made) so I wanted to take the chance to ask his advice. I queried the need for the battens between the vapour barrier and the loglap as it will be a pain to include – I’ve already fitted the window frames etc on the assumption that the loglap will go straight on the frames. He said there was no need for this gap, and to just screw the loglap straight onto the vapour barrier. Apparently this is how he does it when he builds and has never had a problem.

Is this a reasonable approach to take ? It would make my life an awful lot easier to not batten (prob be the difference between using the barrier and not at all). Or will this cause the loglap to rot as water is unable to evaporate from the back ?

He also said it would be fine to put the barrier over the rafters and then screw the OSB directly to it, just like the cladding. Again, will this be OK ?

I will be installing vents in the gable ends.

Future plan would then be to insulate by using a suitable material between the wall joists and then ply over that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back