Connecting a DVD to surround sound!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently bought a DVD player (SilverCrest DP-5330x) and it has got a 5.1 analog output. I have already got a DVD player which came with the speakers but I changed the DVD player and want to keep the speakers and the speakers were connected at the back of the old DVD player, the wire are visible at the tip and they slotted in to the positive and negative. The new DVD player require the connecters were both positive and negative are connected in one. I bought these connections and connected the wires and its not working!!!

Any ideas!!

Sorry if it dont make sense im a bit new to this!!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your old DVD player had a built in amplifier and decoder. for the speakers to plug into. This is unusual. I very much suspect that what you are seeing on the back of your new DVD which I am guessing was specified as having a built in 5.1 decoder, is the un-amplified RCA component outputs for the 5.1, with Front Left, Centre, Front right, Real left, Rear right and Sub woofer. The clue is that you say they are fed from one socket, which I suspect looks something like these (Note socket style not colours etc)
jk15r_bw74r_jk17t.jpg

This means that you will need a separate amplifier to amplify the signal to audible levels and is not compatible with the old system. You can either buy an amplifier that takes the separate inputs and re-use you speakers, or buy a surround sound system that has the speakers as well.
I don't want to sound like I am advertising, but I happen to have an amplifier with speakers in the shed going spare. It was an entry level system when I bought it. If you are interested, send me an e-mail, (address in my profile) and I send you some pics and we can discuss.

Thanks

I will try to find the manual of my old DVD player and see if it did have a built in amplifier? Yes the pics are what I am seeing at the back as in FL,FR,C,SR,SR and SW.

The DVD player was a JVC SP-THS3 and is a home cinema system!

Thanks for the reply I will get back to you.

Hi

Just thought I come back and let you guys know I got it working! I just left the existing DVD player and connected the new one to it and on the old DVD player select AUX and sounds comes out from the speakers!

Thanks

z

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just thought I come back and let you guys know I got it working! I just left the existing DVD player and connected the new one to it and on the old DVD player select AUX and sounds comes out from the speakers!

Thanks

z

When you say "connected the new one to it", do you mean via a pair of phono plugs from new to old? If so, you'll be giving-up Dolby Digital for Pro-logic (or the DTS equivalents) assuming your old combined DVD/amp supports it...

Added Later

Just found the manual for your model on-line, and I see it has a digital optical in too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back