Connecting Iron pipework to Copper pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Got a central heating system that is fed by iron pipework, I'm wanting to add a new radiator to the system however I'm not sure how I cut into the iron pipework and then add copper. Are there any useful tips you could give me. Whish connectors do I use?

I would also appreciate it if you could tell me whether or not I should be connecting the pipework at one end at the top of the radiator and at the bottom at the other end (all my other radiators are plumbed like this).

Thanks in advance

Terry

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that you haven't had any answers to this post from one of the regular plumbing chaps. I daresay they'd warn you about such things as "are you sure your boiler will support the additional radiator", etc..

But the basic issue you probably want answered is how to acheive a joint onto the existing iron pipes. You can acheive this by cutting the pipe and then using a die to cut a thread on the end. You want to select a tapered BSP die of a suitable size for the pipe in question. (at a guess, probably a 3/4 BSP).

Some dies are nut shaped so you just need a hefty spanner to wind the thing onto the pipe. rather than having a special holder for it. Once you have the thread on the pipe, all you need is the appropriate adapter. Screw it on with a bit of PTFE tape, and bobs your uncle.

alternatively, you could trace the pipework back to the nearest joints each side of where you want to cut. Remove this section and replace with copper pipe using suitable adapters (like I say, available at any plumbers merchants). This method has the added advantage of being able to take the old removed section with you to the plumbers merchant to ensure you get the correct adapters.

Sounds like a large(?) bore single pipe system.

The important things here are keep the same pipe size in the lower pipe, and keep the radiator feed pipes as vertical as possible, in at the top of the rad, out at the bottom. You should also try and maintain the in pipe at the upstream side (using nearby rads to gauge flow direction)

If they're buried in a concrete floor you have my sympathy, and will need to make long thread joins or use bulky unions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back