Connecting to a corporate network with wifi camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
We have a need to monitor a handset with a digital readout.
We have so far set up a laptop in a cupboard (for security) pointed at the handset and connected to a zoom call. Anyone can log in and see the readout

The original concept was to buy a cheap wifi cctv camera and connect to our "corporate" wifi but that's heavily policed by the IT department and they are generally not cooperative with this sort of thing.

Another option is to buy a wifi dongle and bypass the corporate system but I am not sure about cost? We would be looking at about 48-60 hours to go over a weekend. Don't know how much data a video of a digital readout takes ? It doesn't rise or fall rapidly

Third option could be to find a PC/Mac on the system and (ideally) connect a webcam on a 10m USB extension.

Ideas?
As said, the IT dept get really grumpy if we buy anything that isn't approved by them and so much kit is smart enabled now that it is a real issue. I bought a cheap PC from Amazon for £80. All I need it for is to act as a monitor control for a piece of video equipment and it doesn't require to be connected to the net normally. However it does to download software updates. IT won't allow it to be connected, so I have to take it home for updates. It's bonkers!!

Sponsored Links
I completely understand your frustration with not being able to do what you want on a corporate network, having been there myself.
However! IT have a huge corporate responsibility. They have to ensure the security of proprietary data, HR data, customer data...
All with the potential penalties of huge fines from regulators at the very least!
If you're unregistered WiFi webcam had an open backdoor that hackers could exploit (not uncommon), your company could be in serious trouble!
So I understand why they are reluctant to help.
There is also the dubious legality of an unseen recording webcam, especially given recent ministerial goings on!
If you can give us some more details about what the handset is recording, maybe we can find an alternative. IE sending back data via GSM only if certain limits are met?

Following has an issue in that phone might be stolen.

Use on old Andriod Phone on a stand looking at the digital readout.
Use the App "IP Camera" (note I have never used this outside my internal system, and better Apps might exist) to post video out using 4G.
Use a 4G data sim.

Regarding data - YouTube uses about 0.5GB per hour.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=hoe+much+data+does+your+tuve+use
So you need 4wks x 60 hours x 0.5Gb = 120GB data plan!
So need an unlimted plan.
Lebra do an Unlimted, No contract plan for £25pm.

You could make a quick test using your current phone to see if it works for you.

EDIT - for a google play app seach use the kepwords - "broadcast camera"
OR use Whatsapp (not sure if it times out).

SFK

IMG_0119.PNG IMG_0120.PNG Cheers
So a webcam wired to an existing authorised computer seems more likely?
It's in a secure area, so no GDPR issues.
We can control the camera view to ensure nothing else gets captured

The person wanting to do this bought a cheap £18 wifi camera but anything cheap could do

At present the laptop sends this image via zoom to a call that anyone with the meeting ID can see
We could organise something closer up but it was a bodge done as a test in a cupboard for security

The handset is about the size of a multimeter and annoyingly can be provided with some kind of remote access but that involves a whole separate new handset and £800 cost. Plus no guarantee that IT would permit connection!

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I was hoping for more from the handset!
Having checked the datasheet, there is no sign of USB or RS232 ports for real-time data monitoring.
Video monitoring looks to be the simplest solution and a webcam connected to a local machine would be best unless you go via a mobile app.
Apart from Zoom, Skype has served me well in the past for this kind of task, and is normally well supported by business networks.

Yes- I am on holiday but spoke to them on the phone!
Even the available one with USB (at high cost) only gives data out as a PC graph I think?
We just need to monitor the temp gauge

I'll see what I can do when I get back.

Android phone is probably the cheapest enterprise WiFi capable camera you could buy and as a bonus it won't tickle IT as being a "camera from a 3rd party manufacturer ahhhhh!" And most likely can be self service registered.

Failing this, elevate the request and politely remind IT that they are a "service" not the other way around.

Suggest you crop your images as they contain personal infomation.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back