connecting two buildings by underground conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
I need to connect two buildings approx 90 meters apart with an underground conduit to carry phone, ethernet, shotgun coax and intercom cables. I was going to use 43mm waste pipe (solvent type) but its a bit expensive. has anybody out tere got any better ideas please.
Peter :)

Sponsored Links
Dunno about alternatives (try builders merchants and ask about underground ducting), or try asking in the Electrical section here.

But unless it's a straight run end-end then I'd suggest you need to put access points part way along. Since it's common to have a bend at each end to bring it into the building, you need an access (small manhole) near each end (minimum). Without that, the chance of you being able to rod 90m and pull in another cable are on the low side of poor.

Also, don't try to pull in a new draw rope alongside a new cable. They will twist together and when you try to use the replacement draw rope it will try and rip out the cable it was pulled in with. Use rods to pull in a draw rope on it's own for best results.
90m is a long pull - I've done it with network cables (but not in a duct, and not in one pull) and it takes a lot of pulling. I believe it's common to lube the cables (with something like a wipe with silicone oil ?) to help them pull in. To get an idea of what you are up against, just notice the weight of your drums of cable - and now imagine all that weight sliding along without any lube.

90 metres is along way for shotgun cable...
The voltage drop might be a problem....
Might be easier to run power and normal coax, and have a local psu.

Sponsored Links
Also, you're near the limit for 100baseT at that length too. Which is 100metres... Depending on your switches/routers, fibre might be an sensible option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back