Conservatory Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The conservatory was put on the house by the previous owners and we have lived in the House for 7 years.
In those 7 years it has really just been a dumping ground / utility room / dining room etc.. but due to do it being too cold in the winter we have never used it as a room.

I decided I wanted to make the space into a play room for my 7 month old son that could also double up as an entertaing space.

The conservatory is made up of a polycarbonate roof with 2 dwarf walls, a full height side wall and the back of the house wall.

The approx size is 3x3.5m.

I was unsure of what materials to construct the ceiling from and I wanted to keeps as much weight off of the roof bars as possible.

I watched quite a lot of videos on Youtube and looked at several websites of companies who will put ceiling in a conservatory and thought I can do this myself at a fraction of the cost.

I was originally going to use a steel MF suspended ceiling system but that would have been suspending the channels off of the roof bars and I didnt fancy doing that so in the end opted for 3x2 timber with 1 layer of 12.5mm plasterboards and 200mm of Glass Fibre insulation above.

I did think of using spotlights but opted against as i would have had to clear to much of the insulation around them so decided on a standard ceiling rose instead.

Here are some pics of the progress. The ceiling is up and plastered, decorating the room is in progress and I will be building Storage seating next week (hopefully!!)

Sponsored Links
Forgive me, but I don't see a vapour barrier in there, to stop moisture from warm air in the conservatory condensing in the insulation and rotting the timber ... and is the space above the ceiling ventilated?

Cheers
Richard

There is no vapour barrier.
Ventilation cowls will be going into the poly roof. not sure how many yet but i would say one in every poly panel

Sponsored Links
Nice job, I'll not be showing that to my mrs though as I have no doubt she'd be wanting ours done!

For me it was weighing up the costs of using it. Knock it down and build a single extesion - £15k. (cant afford that yet but future plan)
Replace roof with a new glass one - £5k at a guess. (still might be too cold)
Pay a "insualted conservatory roof" company to do it - £1200-£3000
Do it myself - £130 so far in materials and £150 for plasterer.

I'm not at home in the daytime but my wife tells me it is cool in there during the day as wheras before it was like an oven when the sun was beating down on the roof.

After the Bench seating is built I will need to look into heating for out there. Cheapest option will be an electric radiator but other options are Electric underfloor heating or bring a radiator in via the central heating

I think ufh would be a waste of time. Technically br don't allow you to tap off the main heating but who's to know . a fan heater may be adequate .

Adam thats brilliant, identical to what ive done a few years ago , you will not look back I have a gaming pc in there and thick curtains up and believe me in winter it gets warmer than the house ;)

For air flow there was mini trickle vents underneath the polycarb I just drilled many many more holes all around to maximise the air flow.

Enjoy your new room iam never out of mine now :cool:

Forgive me, but I don't see a vapour barrier in there, to stop moisture from warm air in the conservatory condensing in the insulation and rotting the timber ... and is the space above the ceiling ventilated?

Cheers
Richard

Where would you put the vapour barrier ? Would you put it on the underside of the conservatory ? Like the foil quilt , then plasterboard like he has done ?

Thanks

Hi Adam
I've been reading about your conservatory roof alterations was it a success as I'm looking to do mine
Thanks
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back