Conservatory Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a conservatory built and the builder has left a rough screed floor. I know that I've got to use a self levelling screed but am confused about one or 2 things:

a. Does the DPM go under or over the screed?

b. Should I anchor the first row of laminate strips to the felt underboard or does the entire floor float on the underlay?

Grateful for any advice! :confused:

Sponsored Links
The builder should have installed a DPM under your concrete. The self-levelling screed is then laid deirectly onto the concrete subfloor (after priming etc..
In a large conservatory its best to drop an accurate line down the centre of the room, align your first line of planks on this and fix this in at the toungue to prevent movement while you lay the rest. If its a small conservatory you could simply use the main straight wall as a straight edge, fix some 10mm blocks in to create an expansion joint (you remove them later) and put in the first few lines of planks, make sure their straight and tight, then let the adhesive set. Once the adhesive has set just work off of this section.
By the way I would be a bit cautious about laying laminate in a conservatory, it isn't very dimensionally stable and conservatories do tend to experience fairly wide extremes of temperature. Also if there is any kind of leak the fibre board will soak it up like a sponge and never dry out.

JIM456 said:
The builder should have installed a DPM under your concrete.

If you not sure if he has put dpm below slab you should put one above to be sure. This will go below the screed.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the 2 replies below. I appreciate the comments about laminate in a conservatory but 2 things forced my hand:

a. The product claims to be OK for conservatories.

b. The wife wants laminate.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back