Conservatory Glass Roof Improvement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We bought a house a couple of years ago which has a wonderful extension / conservatory off the back of the kitchen (no door between). It also has a bedroom (flat roof) and en-suite off the end.

The extension / conservatory is brick built with windows and 2 outside doors (one either side). However, the problem we're trying to overcome is that the roof whilst having blinds is glass roofed (I imagine slightly tinted) and it gets too hot during the summer and cold during the winter. We're looking for some advice but all the companies seem to have their own preference. I've done a bit of reading and options seem to be:

- Put in under-floor heating and replace blinds with pleated blinds (like from Thomas Sanderson) to help with winter and summer - blinds would be a better closer fit than what is currently there;

- Continue with under-floor heating and replace glass in the roof with improved glass - likely to be expensive for any significant difference in temperature?

- Consider air conditioning unit / heating unit - for summer and winter;

- Install a ceiling leaving roofing as is - essentially fill the gap with insulation and plasterboard. Issues I have here is the cost and mixed reviews (can lead to condensation?);

- A variation of the above except clip-in insulated panels rather than full plasterboard. The other option here is solar film to attach to exiting windows;

- Put in an imitation tiled roof and insulate and plasterboard in between - probably a better option based on reviews but again potential cost?

Given the size of the conservatory and extension knocking down and starting again with a proper extension isn't likely to be feasible.

I'd appreciate any comments / suggestions on where to look for advice.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Had a/c in mine, with blinds to roof and walls and tinted roof and ceiling fan and still hit 40 degrees in summer, a pair of rads do keep it warm in winter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back