A rated conservatory glass what to look for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
considering replacing our 14 yr old conservatory which has poly roof and standard glass no insulating properties, freezing in winter hot in summer so looking to replace ~
Looking at A rated self cleaning for the roof etc Is the blue colour glass better than the bronze ??
any advice welcome
thanks Jondecs

Sponsored Links
The blue is good, I haven't fitted a bronze glass roof in 15+ years. Its will be better than poly but still cold in winter and hot in summer.
Have you looked into the solid replacement roofs?

Some good pics and ideas of the options here:
https://www.ultraframe-conservatories.co.uk/

Thats one of the more expensive makes but there are loads of makes about.

You probably will be looking at around double the price of a glass roof but they are fully insulated so will make the room usable all year round.

Do use a reputable company (preferably local and stay away from the nationals unless you like being ripped off).

Technically these replacements require both planning consent and building control signoff as it technically becomes an extension rather than a conservatory, A good company will sort all this for you or at least advise you on it.

It has to be a specially designed light weight roof you cant just get a builder to fit a normal roof on it.
Some makes off the top of my head
Ultraframe
Supalite
Guardian
Sentinal
Celsius
Icotherm

Your a bit out of my area (somerset) but feel free to send me over any quotes you get and I will see if I can be competitive.
Where abouts are you in Dorset? There are a couple of other guys on this forum that maybe a bit closer than I am

Sponsored Links
90% of the roofs I do are neutral solar control these days.

I buy from this company:

http://www.tuffxglass.co.uk/ambience.html

Thats their retail site to show their products, you wont be able to buy from them, but Tuffx are pretty big in supplying roof glass. They dont make glass they use a mixture of Saint Gobain and Pilkington glass (AFAIK).

As far as spec goes, I always have solar control neutral, soft coat low e, warm edge spacer, argon gas fill whihc is the lowest U value you can realistically achieve with current glazing products.

If you want it truely usable in winter and summer how about a solid roof, IMO as good as the glass is and its moved on ten fold in the last 10 years it'll still be hit and miss whether you can warm it in winter and keep it cool in summer

Hi .. Thanks for the input. we've decided to shelve the idea for now . Might be moving in a couple of years to downsize etc, its me age lol
thanks ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back