Conservatory glass roof is it better or a gimmic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im looking to buy a conservatory and im trying to decide what roof to have the conserv will measure 2800mm out x 4800mm long. there seems alot of options to pick from 35mm Poly carb, Pilkington K glass , Pilkington Optitherm Pilkington Active Blue, is there really much difference between the Poly and the pilkington high spec glass? is it worth the extra money for the glass and how much more would it be for the top spec.

Can anyone recommend a roof they have had that helps to keep the heat down and cool out i really just cant decide the option to go for.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
I watched a programme on "green " houses (as in low carbon footprint/ energy saving etc).
All of these houses had a conservatory built, facing South. The idea being that during the day the conservatory warmed up and the solid tiled floor absorbed some of this heat , then released it during the evening / night into the rest of the house. Even in the winter time, on sunny days the conservatory was considerably warmer than the rest of the house. The householders would open the internal doors to the conservatory to allow the "free" heat to enter their house, thus keeping heating costs down.
I didn't think the idea of having a conservatory was to keep it cool on sunny days. (might be wrong though).

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a conservatory and im trying to decide what roof to have the conserv will measure 2800mm out x 4800mm long. there seems alot of options to pick from 35mm Poly carb, Pilkington K glass , Pilkington Optitherm Pilkington Active Blue, is there really much difference between the Poly and the pilkington high spec glass? is it worth the extra money for the glass and how much more would it be for the top spec.

Can anyone recommend a roof they have had that helps to keep the heat down and cool out i really just cant decide the option to go for.

Thanks for reading

Poly looks cheap but opal poly will keep the conny cool. How close is next doors upstairs window? Will they be able to look down through the glass at you?

The two choices I would go for is either Self clean or anti sun, both will have K as its on the inside. My personal choice is active blue.

Any chance you can opt for Saint Gobain glass instead of Pilkington? Pilkington has cornered the market with branding, but Saint gobain Planitherm range is much better

Hi all,

Thanks for reading

Poly looks cheap but opal poly will keep the conny cool. How close is next doors upstairs window? Will they be able to look down through the glass at you?

The two choices I would go for is either Self clean or anti sun, both will have K as its on the inside. My personal choice is active blue.

Any chance you can opt for Saint Gobain glass instead of Pilkington? Pilkington has cornered the market with branding, but Saint gobain Planitherm range is much better

Thought id reply being as you mentioned self clean and it may have a bearing on the OP's choice.

Went to a job a couple of weeks ago to look at 3 steamed units in a conny roof, the customer had already had 1 of the corner triangles replaced in her edwardian styled roof, i went to look at the other 3 as they have done the same, the whole roof was pilkington active blue, even had the hologram stickers to the outsides but there was one odd one, the one that had been replaced already had been replaced with grey, stood out like sore thumb, customer said other contractor told her pilk active blue has been dicontinued, whether its true or not i dont know, guess i'll soon find out when we try and order the units.

But like roofline says i'd check out what saint-gobain have to offer as in spec and colours. Personally id have a glass roof but if you do then watch the fitters like a hawk and make sure they fit anti slip brackets to stop the sheet sliding down into the gutter, most roofs i go to look at now seem to have these missed off and thrown into the parts bin :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Well big thanks for your time here some brilliant info and ideas you have given.

To Mw Roofline iam in a detached house so the only window that would be slightly over looking at about 8 meters away and slightly forward of my house, so i dont think that will be a problem never thought of that though great tip ;)

So going onto the other brand Saint Gobain glass this never seems to pop up in front of me on the net so this is a definatly a new research for me and i will seriously look at this for an option.

To Crank thanks for the fitting glass tip if this is my chosen option will keep an eye on that.

To Joinerjohn infact my area for the conserv will be south facing wish i watched that programme it does sound rather interesting to see how the done the base sounds a fab idea.

Right of to read the net cheers all ;)

Meant to say Clubb69 make sure you opt for as many openers as possible as it will get hot. You can't have too many openers in a south facing conny! :oops:

IMHO all conservatories should be north facing otherwise in summer they become blast furnaces!!

1)Can you detail what u vaue have you been given for the different finisheses ?

2) Can you detail the cost for the different finishes ?

This will make it easy to establish the benefit of whatever finish .

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the great feedback im still currently deciding what spec to go for on the roof and side windows, i have had a quote from an internet conserv DIY company and there spec for windows is as follows.

28mm STAYCOOL solar control double glazing with 1.1 U-value for the side panels.

STAYCOOLGLASS Supplied as our standard glass roof option if chosen with all bespoke conservatories this is the
ultimate conservatory roof glazing providing not only superior insulation with a 1.0 U value
but also unbeatable solar control capabilities ensure year round comfort is
available for your new living space.

A STAYCOOL glass roof on your conservatory will reflect 78% of the sun’s heat and
the subtle green tint will reduce glare by 68%.

STAYCOOL double glazing is fitted as standard in the side frames(with or without a glass roof)and will reflect 57% of solar
heat whilst it’s neutral appearance will provide 35% reduction in glare. Side frame
double glazing acheives an energy efficient 1.1 U-value minimising heat loss during
the winter.

The Question is as anyone had any experience with this kind of spec, i cant seem to find nothing about it apart from 2 companys selling the conservatorys with the added glass option who are praising it up quite alot :)

Mointwalker im still waiting on the glass option prices but ive had prices for polcarb anti sun 35mm for roof and 28 mm staycool side windows total £3250 for DIY conserv. (4800x 2800mm)

Then ive had another price £3300 for antisun 35mm poly but it does not mention window spec will get onto them this weekend for there glass option.

Thanks for reading

U value and the like are all ok but the deciding factor for me would be noise...ever been in a conservatory when it's raining?

Glass is much less noisy than poly...unless you are already deaf,go for glass :)

Here we go again, another first time poster plugging their own company, noticed your both based in Hertfordshire, that really gives it away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back