Mixing Poly-carb and glass in a conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I am still mulling over the type of roof I want in my 6m x 4m double hipped conservatory, I wish to ask the board about the following scenario. I was going to Install a 35mm polycarb roof. One for the cheapness, but also as I did not want my neighbours to look in.
I have now just spent the evening in my "in-laws" conny and I liked the way you could see the stars at night.

What I want to know is, can I have the front 1/2 of the roof made from glass, and the back half made from an opaque poly-carb.

I know I could just get the glass "frosted", or an even more expensive option is just to put up blinds, but I would like to know if the two types of roofs could be mixed, or would it make the structure un-sound.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
I know I could just get the glass "frosted", or an even more expensive option is just to put up blinds, but I would like to know if the two types of roofs could be mixed, or would it make the structure un-sound.

Thanks in Advance
You can get mirror effect built in the glass preventing anyone looking in plus keeping heat out and at the same time you can see out, best of both world!

Can't see any issues really other than during survey stage you let the manufacturers know as they will need to use different glazing bar caps ie one half would need to suit the 35mm poly carb sheet and the other for a 28mm DGU, if anything i think this may be the only stumbling block, is there a capping that suits a 28mm poly carb sheet infact do they actually make 28mm sheets?

I think the only way is to nuts/bolts & sealant the end glazing bar together for difference thickness of roof

Sponsored Links
As Crank said the glazing bar or top cap would need to be different but i cannot see any problem with it

The problem is with the glazing bar that will have poly carb on one side and glass to the other, one side will have a 35mm panel in and the other half will have whatever the glass unit will be, my guess was 28mm but could easily be 24mm, this would cause the glazing bar capping to cock over to one side, unless you made your units 6/20/6 to give 32mm, you'd get away with that but the weight...........blimey, it'd take 4 guys to lift them in

Thanks for all the replies.

I think, I will just go for the easiest option, which is to have a 35mm pol-carb roof and tell my wife if she wants to look at stars then watch "sky at night" :p :D

I also posted a question in this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236373
which was to ask for different manufacturers.

I am erring on a K2 roof

1) that is what most people are quoting me for (North Manchester)
2) The neighbour has one, and they are happy with it.

If you have any reasons agains this can you please let me know

Thanks once again

K2 or Ultraframe, you won't go wrong with either, both are well known in the trade and both good quality.

Now, the only thing with the double hipped roof is the need for a box gutter, 2 things.......

1/ Where the ali box gutter connects to the pvc gutter, both corners against the house wall or fascia always leak INTO the conservatory, there is a specific corner adaptor for ali to pvc but the fitters rarely seal that joint well enough, silicone is not enough. I recommend 'cromapol' from B&Q or 'flexacryl' from screwfix, both the same, a fibreglass reinforced roof/gutter sealer, paint this a foot each side of the joint.

2/ Make sure at survey stage that the chosen box gutter is big enough for rain from 2 roofs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back