Choosing a conservatory installer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking at having our 18yr old conservatory replaced with something a bit more modern/efficient. In fairness, after 18years it's not shifted, leaked or sagged, just looks a bit scruffy and is freezing in the winter. (It's a 3.2x3.7m lean to, east facing with a triple wall polycarbonate roof)

It's been a fairly entertaining experience, I usually avoid double-glazing salesmen types if I can help it, a few have been old school, but a few have been quite fun..

We've had a range of companies come to quote, from the guy who's got a price in his head before he's seen the place, to the other ones who'll take a week to produce a printed and bound specification and quote.

There's a few things I'm having issues with, and figured this forum might shed some light..

Most companies have quoted Pilkington products, one has quoted SGG, another Celsius (albeit a product I don't think exists -Celsius Blue active - sounds like Pilkington). Is conservatory glass a one horse race? Is there much between them?

Between the salesmen and looking online I find a range and spread of U values for all the above products that make any attempt at calculating heat losses, and potential savings a nightmare - is this standard practice? Is there a sensible way to get accurate U values of a glass panel? Is there much between brand x and brand y in a practical sense?

A couple of suppliers have mentioned being Ultraframe installer, one is a Veka installer - I'm beginning to think that comparing the 2 is apples and oranges - Is Ultraframe just roof systems? Do Veka do roofs too?

Finally, has anyone had any personal experiences & dealings, positive or otherwise with the following installers?

Greenway Home Improvements
Glevum Windows
EcoVitro
High Tech Windows
MPN windows doors & conservatories

Any thoughts are appreciated, we've made a gut decision, but in reality I need to be sure I'm not throwing away £3k in price difference on a bad hunch.

thanks..

Sponsored Links
Celsius, sgg and pilks all offer their own glass which is really all like for like.
Ultraframe is a roof supplier which will sit on a window profile like veka, duraflex,shield, eurocell and so on as far as i know veka onle make window and door profile and do not manufacture roofs.

They're all freezing in the winter, you're not going to change that unless you heat it.

Personally, over the winter, a conservatory makes a great place to store my beer :cool:

Sponsored Links
They're all freezing in the winter, you're not going to change that unless you heat it.

Personally, over the winter, a conservatory makes a great place to store my beer :cool:

Been doing that already :)

Have got plans for heating, don't worry. Though the beer will have to go somewhere else. A small sacrifice for the greater good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back