conservatory heater rcd or not

ok, thank you for ur help. I will start reading through them 2night when i get a moments peace from the kids. Hope i have done it correctly as most of the wiring is done, all ran vertically or horizontally and capped in pvc conduct as all the hardware stores near me have stopped selling metal conduct for some reason or other.
cheers again

Sponsored Links
I've never seen metal conduit in a hardware store, due to that very few DIYers have the tools to install it!

they did used to sell it in wickes and b&q near me but they have stopped now. Ive seen it just installed screwing it to the wall with rawl plugs or nails, what is the proper way to install it then

they did used to sell it in wickes and b&q near me but they have stopped now. Ive seen it just installed screwing it to the wall with rawl plugs or nails, what is the proper way to install it then

Installing, not fixing. You need to be able to thread and bend it.

Sponsored Links
mmmm.....
You are right :)

But i still dont know why diy stores have stopped selling it and they only do the crappy pvc capping now

mmmm.....
You are right :)

But i still dont know why diy stores have stopped selling it and they only do the crappy pvc capping now

Because both do the same job, the PVC is lighter, easier to handle, cheaper..

There was never a requirement for galg capping.....

Horrible stuff.

but u got no safety with pvc eg, drilling into it with a masonary drill bit goes straight into it, whereas galvanised take a while to go through, you get some idea you shouldnt be drilling there with it. I myself always use a wire finder before i drill into a wall with sockets on it, but the general house hold mainly do not have a wire finder

but u got no safety with pvc eg, drilling into it with a masonary drill bit goes straight into it, whereas galvanised take a while to go through, you get some idea you shouldnt be drilling there with it. I myself always use a wire finder before i drill into a wall with sockets on it, but the general house hold mainly do not have a wire finder

You shouldn't be drilling in zones at all without checking thoroughly. If it's outside of a zone, they're either going to put it in conduit or are too incompetent to bother with steel capping.

You cannot use galv capping if you intend to run outside zones - it offers little resistance to a drill and does not comply.

but u got no safety with pvc eg, drilling into it with a masonary drill bit goes straight into it, whereas galvanised take a while to go through, you get some idea you shouldnt be drilling there with it.
Not necessarily - depends what you're using. A decent corded SDS hammer drill would punch through capping without hesitating.

As would a sharp round wire nail given a good blow from a regular 16-240z hammer.

I myself always use a wire finder before i drill into a wall with sockets on it, but the general house hold mainly do not have a wire finder
I guess that's one thing in favour of steel capping - it will show up well with a detector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back