Conservatory - how to temp regulate

I beg to differ about blinds.
They do make a noticeable difference, although it will still be hot.

Conservatories are ok for what they are.

Mine is a simple lean to and I made blinds that run on wires, utilising those split cane roll up blinds modified to run on wires.
Very effective. I leave a roof vent open.

For a playroom you could buy a shade sail to stop heat hitting it?

Could you cut ply to suit the glass panels and add insulation between the glass and ply? Use the glass as the waterproofing.

Sponsored Links
Conservatories are useless spaces that can be used just 2 days per year. Blinds would not do much since they will heat up and transmit all the heat. Also, you don't want a vampire cave. IN the moment you open up for some light, everything is toasty again. And with cool or humidity, even much worse. Solution: Used it a couple of hours per day if possible, save money and demolish that glorify storage.

Roof lantern? As in convert the roof into a proper roof? Read that a proper roof is around £7k
I think they are cheaper and its sort of a faux tile in big panel's.
The sail idea sounds good, fixed eyelets in your wall on the house and maybe a hole in the ground to slot in a post in front of the conservatory, like a sleeve in the ground to take a tall cloths line post like this even comes with a sleeve that you can concrete in https://www.amazon.co.ukFlickBuyz the idea being that you can easily remove it. You can get square sails too, might need 2 posts.

Last edited:
I think they are cheaper and its sort of a faux tile in big panel's.
The sail idea sounds good, fixed eyelets in your wall on the house and maybe a hole in the ground to slot in a post in front of the conservatory, like a sleeve in the ground to take a tall cloths line post like this even comes with a sleeve that you can concrete in https://www.amazon.co.ukFlickBuyz the idea being that you can easily remove it. You can get square sails too, might need 2 posts.
Thank you.
We do like the idea of the sail. The conservatory itself is actually wood so we will be able to fix hocks to it. I think we will give the sail and potentially one of those UV films a go.

Sponsored Links
Conservatories are useless spaces that can be used just 2 days per year. Blinds would not do much since they will heat up and transmit all the heat. Also, you don't want a vampire cave. IN the moment you open up for some light, everything is toasty again. And with cool or humidity, even much worse. Solution: Used it a couple of hours per day if possible, save money and demolish that glorify storage.
I'd be happy if we can use the room for a few hours per day and have none of our belongings UV damaged.
I agree that conservatories are a waste of money. We will in future be looking at an extension but just can't afford it right now.

Thank you.
We do like the idea of the sail. The conservatory itself is actually wood so we will be able to fix hocks to it. I think we will give the sail and potentially one of those UV films a go.
Well maybe you need do nothing more than throw a sheet over the roof with hook on each corner. Like a fly sheet, think you may be able to get UV ones.

I beg to differ about blinds.
They do make a noticeable difference, although it will still be hot.

Conservatories are ok for what they are.

Mine is a simple lean to and I made blinds that run on wires, utilising those split cane roll up blinds modified to run on wires.
Very effective. I leave a roof vent open.

For a playroom you could buy a shade sail to stop heat hitting it?

Could you cut ply to suit the glass panels and add insulation between the glass and ply? Use the glass as the waterproofing.

The sun sail is a great idea and we will give it a go plus those UV window films. I think that winter use will always be unrealistic but protecting our belongings from UV damage is already a massive advance.

As has been mentioned, conservatories can be used in the winter but only occasionally on constantly sunny days, ironically they can help to heat the rest of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back