Conservatory Versus Extension To Get Bigger Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Take a look at this for example

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/88k/87925/38809279/87925_HAM130175_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.JPG

I am quite sure that this would be classed as a conservatory because it has 50% side windows and 75% roof made from glass.

If I was to build a 10 metre conservatory with these types of glass doors what could possibly go wrong?

I intend to source plenty of cheap double glazing from Ebay and the bricks wont cost much either.

It might be a bit cold in the winter but is that the only down side to this?

Sponsored Links
I am quite sure that this would be classed as a conservatory

Whether or not it is classed as a conservatory depends mainly on the separation from the house. If it is separate from the main body of the house (eg by external-grade doors) it would be a conservatory; if it's an integral part of the house, it's an extension.

If it's an extension, that amount of glazing would be a source of considerable heat loss and you would have to compensate by other energy-saving measures.

It depends what you want the space for. A connie usually works best for people with large houses and plenty of space already, so it's used when it suits them.
If it's a small house that requires more living space an extension is often better.

I am quite sure that this would be classed as a conservatory

Whether or not it is classed as a conservatory depends mainly on the separation from the house. If it is separate from the main body of the house (eg by external-grade doors) it would be a conservatory; if it's an integral part of the house, it's an extension.

If it's an extension, that amount of glazing would be a source of considerable heat loss and you would have to compensate by other energy-saving measures.

Ah yes - There has to be a door to seperate the conservatory - Ho hum

Sponsored Links
If I was to build a 10 metre conservatory with these types of glass doors what could possibly go wrong?

Those type of doors will cost you more than a equivalent wall to cover the same distance.

Also beware of the ebay glazers... often not cheaper than getting a local firm that will fit them for you.

From what I have learnt bi-folds are a nightmare to hang correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back