considering a new set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Panasonic 28" CRT tv, (a few years old) a Humax F2-Fox T Freeview tuner (five years old) and a Sony RDR-HXD719 DVD recorder with built in Freeview tuner (three years old?).

The only thing that's unsatisfactory is the Sony. It only records to the time selected from the epg, not when the programs actually start and stop, and occasionally keeps on recording until the hard disk is full.

So on the face of it all I need to do is to replace the DVD recorder. But the TV is not really big enough for the room (we sit about 4.26m, 14 feet, away) and it is quite hard to lift the whole kit and caboodle out for vacuuming.

So I'm inclined to change the lot - if only I knew what to invest in. I'd welcome your advice, please.

A few further considerations: we aren't interested in Sky, only Freeview; our room is very well windowed and we'd like something with a less reflective screen; we would like a great picture without paying the earth for it; we are not sure if HD is going to be worth it; we watch tennis and don't want a trail after the ball.

And very importantly we would like kit that would last, if possible.

It all seems complicated. Hope you can help here.

Sponsored Links
A few further considerations: we aren't interested in Sky, only Freeview (buy a Freeview PVR) ; our room is very well windowed and we'd like something with a less reflective screen; (buy an LCD TV, they're good in bright light and some have really matte screens) we would like a great picture without paying the earth for it (wouldn't we all); we are not sure if HD is going to be worth it; we watch tennis and don't want a trail after the ball. (so you want to avoid the basic 1080p sets then)

And very importantly we would like kit that would last, if possible. (buy from John Lewis with a 5 yr warranty thrown in)

What's your budget for this technology miracle thet will last forever?

It all seems complicated. Hope you can help here.

ChrisFrost,

Your post made me chuckle. I don't suppose you can find me a setup for under £100 can you?

If I knew what I was after, I could go round the Currys and Comets to get an idea of prices. However, I could shell out around a grand if I had to.

Are there limitations to the Freeview PVRs? Are they better than the Sony type I've got? Start and stop to the program and not the time?

Avoid basic 1080p TVs? I thought that was the top of the range. John Lewis sounds a good idea but the nearest one to me is in Chester, some 45 miles away. Don't these things have to be tuned in on site?

You must be a bad sleeper like me. I'm going back now to try again.

Glad I gave you a laugh :D

PVRs: The only limitation (if you can call it that) is they don't tend to have a built in DVD recorder. Some people get fixated on this, "What if I want to keep a recording?" they fret. Well that's simple; just hook up the DVD recorder you already own and et voila!

I've owned PVRs for the last 10 years. I also have a DVD recorder. The number of times I've actually wanted to save something from TV is probably less than 20 times.

On the positive side, PVRs do a far better job of the business of recording and replaying TV. Go for a decent make such as Topfield or Humax and you'll wonder why you didn't do this years ago. They are a joy to use. These boxes can record one channel whilst watching another (some can record two channels whilst watching a previous recording), they're easy to program - just point and click - The recorders record the program rather than just the time, so if the program is delayed then the recording is adjusted. They have "Pause live TV" so you rewind and replay something you've just missed. You'll find many of these features on the cheaper makes too, it's just that the top brands really work hard at making their products very easy to use.

TVs: There's good/better/best in everything, and that includes TVs. So just buying the cheapest 1080p telly won't guarantee you that you'll get the best picture. If that were the case then Panasonic wouldn't sell any of their 42" V and G series TVs at well over a grand a pop, and we'd all be watching cheap LGs, Toshibas and no-brand supermarket models instead.

All new TV technologies are significantly brighter than the CRT you currently have. They'll all be easier to see even in bright ambient light. If I was giving you a buy recommendation I'd say go for a Panasonic plasma with the NeoPDP screen technology. It would be up to you then to choose whether you want one with the extra Freesat, Freesat HD or Freeview HD tuner as well as the normal Freeview digital tuner.

LCD is brighter still, but the trade-offs are blacks and shadow detail and the speed of motion. The screen never gets totally black when showing a dark picture because the backlights can't be switched off. LED technology is simply a slimmer way of lighting an LCD screen. It still has the black problem, but also suffers from a patchy uneven light spread for the sake of making the screen thinner. At the moment the average LED TV is like the Emporer's new clothes.

A mate of mine bought a Pioneer plasma from me 5 years ago. It was a 42" HD Ready set. Expensive at the time too - £2k when similar spec TVs could be bought from other brands for around a £1200. Now all of his mates have bought big 1080p TVs too, but he said none match the picture quality of his. Quality counts.

Read some reviews then go have a look at some TVs and make up your own mind. Bright and colourful sets always draw the eye, but look for naturalness, smooth motion and how the sets handle picture noise. They're a better guide to quality.

Sponsored Links
ChrisFrost,

You write clearly and well. Obviously a man on top of his subject.

I really appreciate the time you've spent on this and will act on your recommendations. Panasonic and a PVR it is.

Keep your sense of humour and stay happy.

best,

bludger

The only thing that's unsatisfactory is the Sony. It only records to the time selected from the epg, not when the programs actually start and stop, and occasionally keeps on recording until the hard disk is full.

Most EPGs are a bit rubbish.

So on the face of it all I need to do is to replace the DVD recorder. But the TV is not really big enough for the room (we sit about 4.26m, 14 feet, away) and it is quite hard to lift the whole kit and caboodle out for vacuuming.

Get a trolley with wheels for the whole caboodle.

OwainDIYer,

A good idea about the trolley. That would have several advantages I won't go into now as I want to change the subject.

I've just woken up that I have a redundant satellite dish strapped to the chimney. I've forgotten what satellite it's tuned into as it was put in for a special purpose many years ago. But I think I should now investigate Freesat because of it.

If I've got this right, Freesat transmits HD channels via a satellite instead of through the normal TV aerial, as in Freeview. Would this eliminates the need for a HD set-top box?
My dish serves a Technomate TM-1500 CI super receiver.

I know I'd have to put a twin LNB on the dish, and run twin cables to where we want to watch the box. I see no problem there. I would then have HD TV immediately rather waiting until the end of April next year when HD broadcasting is scheduled for our area.

So what else would I need for a complete system? I have a PVR on my shopping list, courtesy of ChrisFrost, Would this work with Freesat as well as Freeview?

Will there be any disadvantages to doing this? Would I miss out on some good channels? Does the Freesat transmitter also send out ordinary sd channels?

Your guidance would be welcome.

If I've got this right, Freesat transmits HD channels via a satellite instead of through the normal TV aerial, as in Freeview. Would this eliminates the need for a HD set-top box?
Only if your TV has a built in freesat HD tuner.

I have a PVR on my shopping list, courtesy of ChrisFrost, Would this work with Freesat as well as Freeview?
For a PVR to work well you REALLY want to be using it's built in tuners so if you want to go freesat you should buy a freesat PVR

Will there be any disadvantages to doing this? Would I miss out on some good channels?
There are some channels available on freeview but not freesat. Whether you consider them good depends on the type of TV you like. There are also iirc some available on freesat but not freeview but I belive those are generally **** ones.

Does the Freesat transmitter also send out ordinary sd channels?
Yes there are SD channels on freesat

Another issue is that satalite installation can get expensive. Because of the way sattelite signals work you can't just split them and twin tuner boxes need two feeds. So if you have a TV with built in freesat and a twin tuner freeview PVR in a location that's three feeds for just that one location.

Up to eight feeds you can use a multi output LNB (dual,quad, or oct), beyond that you have to go with a quattro LNB feeding a multiswich.

Another issue is that satalite installation can get expensive. ....

Up to eight feeds you can use a multi output LNB (dual,quad, or oct),

At least the multi output LNBs save a distribution amp and power supply in the loft.

You also need either an inbuilt sat decoder, or a tuner box, in every TV. That might be rather limiting. At least analogue old tellies will get the usual 3/4/5 channels until switch-off through an aerial.

I don't know why things can't be simple. I'm a simple guy and I ought to be catered for......

The prospect of three cables coming down the roof and having to be drilled through the wall of my living room is not appealing. So I'm going to go back to the original idea.

So I buy a 1080p Panasonic and a PVR. But what happens when, in 12 months time or so, Freeview HD becomes available in my area? I don't suppose the normal Freeview PVR will accept the HD signal, even if the TV would.

If I buy a Freesat PVR, and there does seem to be a couple around, would it function with ordinary Freeview, through the normal aerial, until I can make the switch? I won't feel like having to buy another machine and taking the flak from her indoors. Again.

Maybe I should change the wife?????

First thing you need to do is work out just how much HD stuff there is to watch on Freeview HD. The answer is...not a lot.

At the moment there's BBC1 HD, ITV 1 HD, and 4 HD. That's it; and to add insult to injury ITV HD doesn't broadcast in HD all the time. So, given the limited range of channels is it worth the cost and hassle of getting a Freeview HD PVR compared to a regular Freeview one. IMO, no.

Freesat HD, you have BBC HD and ITV 1 HD.

The clue to why there's so little on these services is in the name; they both start with the word Free. ;)

To get any sort of decent selection of HD channels means forking out for a subscription TV service - Sky HD or Virgin being the most obvious choices. There's also some HD programming on BT Vision.

Most of my customers go for Sky if they want HD. If not then a Freeview or Freesat PVR and an extra hookup to their old Sky dish to enable any Freesat or Freesat HD tuner that might be built in to the TV makes sense. That gives them a bit of extra choice without an additional monthly cost. :D

Okay, I've got it now. Took me a while, mind you, but that's the penalty of being a silly old codger.

You have all been most helpful and I can't thank you enough. Just wish I knew enough about something to advise somebody else. Suppose I'll just have to stay with the feeling of being in debt......

Kind regards,

bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back