constant leak after water turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have water leak in ceiling. Originated.from leak at radiator which have ( finally!) Managed to.isolate. but penetrated to ceiling below and leak from.there persisting. Assumming water has pooled ? have turned off stop.cock. and boiler but water still leaking through ceiling. is this due to water tank in loft still having water in.it ?. Think have a closed system not sure. will it stop when.this can't be refilled and how long will this take?
Help.much appreciated til can get plumber out . Me n kids in house and worried about ceiling coming in during nite. Thank you

Sponsored Links
You say leak has stopped from the rad valve.
If sealed system the pressure has more likely dropped off now.

If water has pooled above ceiling how bad is it leaking is the ceiling badly
damaged etc, You can put a screwdriver hole in the ceiling to let the excess drain out into a bucket.

Thank u for reply. Ceiling very wet approx half meter by two meter patch. Have put two small.holes in ceiling already and persistent dripping.from these. Buckets underneath. The radiator itself was leaking and.have managed to shut off valves to that radiator ( were old and difficult to shut off )
Have left off.boiler and main.water supply. Is this best course of action for now and is there anything else I could do ?

If it was the actual rad that pin holed and you have now fully isolated the rad valves. you can use the heating etc providing the rad valves fully close on that rad so it doesn't refill.

If the ceiling isn't to badly damaged or started to bow then the ceiling will poss dry out, if to bad then it will need replacing.

Sponsored Links
Yes was actual rad.not valves that was leaking - just unfortunately in an unused room so not discovered until fair.amount of water escaped and took some time to finally close valves. Ceiling hasn't bowed just very wet and dripping - so fingers crossed . I will try to use heating again and see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

If it's a sealed system make sure you top the water back up checking the pressure gauge.
And rebleed the other rads.

Can bleed other radiators think.hve a key but how do I top.the water back up checking pressure gauge ?
Also put mains water back.on and bolier and ceiling started to drip more persistently than before. Both back off again. Radiator definitely isolated though as bone dry now.However suspect that in my efforts to close radiator valves may have pulled too hard at radiator and possibly damaged connection to.underfloor water pipes.( radiator in.awkward position , rusted pipes. And plastic pipes )
Plumber in morn I think :(

If you think you have damaged pipes etc then leave till tomorrow.

If it's sealed system you will have a pressure gauge near where you can fill the system back up from the mains water.
If it's a open vented system you have a small tank in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back