Constant noise on line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am getting constant noise on my home phone the ling has been checked remotely and thay say there does not appear to be a line fault. The wiring is old and the only box i have is and old GPO one just inside the house this appears to be corroded is this box the property of BT or will i be charged to have it replaced.
Hope someone can help thx

Sponsored Links
Have you got an nte5 ??? ie a socket that the front lower part comes off ???, if so test in there , is the noise always there or is it ok some times ?

Complain again and ask for the line to be changed. I did and they put a new line in with No Noise.

Andy

Have you got an nte5 ??? ie a socket that the front lower part comes off ???, if so test in there , is the noise always there or is it ok some times ?

hi Tomy don't have an NTE5 just GPO box

Sponsored Links
We would only change the overhead wire if it was proved to be the cause of a fault , if it is working ok we would not change it or relocate it for free.

yes it is just a junction box joining the external cable to the internal cable , unless it is wet it is unlikely this is causing a fault , asthetically not pretty but not often causes a problem

yes it is just a junction box joining the external cable to the internal cable , unless it is wet it is unlikely this is causing a fault , asthetically not pretty but not often causes a problem

Thx for the help

The connections inside the box are all corroded it is next to a window with and ald steel frame so prone to a lot of condensation.
Will i have to pay call out charge if this box is found to be at fault?

Thx for the help

The connections inside the box are all corroded it is next to a window with and ald steel frame so prone to a lot of condensation.
Will i have to pay call out charge if this box is found to be at fault?

i was told that if they came out and found a fault within the property that there was £130 charge

They are responsible to the first internal item.
Which is why your not supposed to play with it.

Is the junction box a BT52A, like this?

73e5ns.jpg

It was fairly common at one time to just leave those 1960's/70's boxes in place and extend to the new LJU's from them.

Bet it comes & goes, as in wet & dry, rain & sun.

Suspect there is water somewhere in the line to your house, as above.

Quite a usual problem yours, don't know why BT don't listen to their customers, it's not as though this is a unique problem.

Openreach are not resonsible for the first item , ie if your external wire comes through the wall straight into an nte5 and that nte5 goes faulty we are supposed to charge you for it as there is no reason for it to go faulty unless your house is damp or you have damaged it .

Openreach are not resonsible for the first item , ie if your external wire comes through the wall straight into an nte5 and that nte5 goes faulty we are supposed to charge you for it as there is no reason for it to go faulty unless your house is damp or you have damaged it .
It's not his house that is damp it's the line/joints outside the house.

It's such a common fault, really don't know why this fault description, that's so common, is not easily recognised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back