Constant swarf build-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have a problem with swarf coming from the mains. Does anyone know what the cause is and how to fix it?

I replaced my kitchen tap about 3 months ago and ever since I've had to take the cold valve out once a week and pick bits of swarf out to prevent the tap dripping. Within a week it's built up enough so that the tap starts dripping again.

I've been having the same problem with the ball valve for the cold water tank in the loft. The swarf is preventing the valve from closing tight and within a couple of weeks it drips enough so that the tank reaches the overflow level. I clean the swarf out of the valve and it's fine for month or so and then starts again.

One of my plumber friends suggested that the water company might have been doing some work on the mains, but there just seems to be a constant build up.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
What is this "swarf" made of?

have you seen any pipes dug up locally?

Do any neighbours have the same thing?

Tony

swarf [swɔːf swɑːf]
n
1. (Engineering / General Engineering) material removed by cutting or grinding tools in the machining of metals, stone, etc.
2. (Chemistry) (Engineering / Metallurgy) radioactive metal waste from a nuclear power station
3. (Astronautics) small fragments of disintegrating spacecraft, orbiting the earth
[of Scandinavian origin; related to Old Norse svarf metallic dust]

Sponsored Links
Ah it seems some of that pesky spacecraft dust has fallen to earth and got into the mains, right pain when that happens, stains your teeth something terrible...

Thanks for your replies.

The swarf seems to be just tiny threads of copper, between 5mm and 10mm long, about 0.5mm wide. The local roads seem to be permanently dug for something or other, but I'm not aware that there's been specific water problems nearby.

No neighbours have mentioned anything, not that I chat to them regularly, and our cold water overflow is the only one i've noticed dripping.

I should have mentioned that I live in a first floor flat, that might change the possible cause.

Immediately after the stopcock in my flat is a Scalemaster thing, could this be a cause of the problems? I don't know what this thing does (I'm an accountant by trade).

Thanks again.

The Scalemaster think may need annual replacement of the inside depending on what kind of thing.

An accountant friend of mine is quite knowledgeable about boilers ( mostly learnt from me at parties and uses that knowledge at his management meetings of the firm that manages his block. He used his knowledge that I will do a gas cert for £65 to poo poo their plan to get one done for £95 for example.

The scalemaster thing MIGHT block copper swarf but it might let it past. It could be as a result of plumbing work by one of your neighbours. That seems most likely.

Tony

I doubt that the scalemaster would contain threads of copper more likely polyphosphate but until we know more who can tell.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back