CONSUMER UNIT MAXIMUM LOADS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If fitting a new consumer unit what is the redundancy that is allowed when calculating the maximum that the MCB total load can be compared to the load rating of the unit itself. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I note your sensible comment about electricians however I wish to get a rough cost for the parts before I get somebody in for quotes.

The standard unit nowadays is 100 amps total max load, with as many MCB slots for the circuits you need in the home.

Sponsored Links
You should let your electrician supply the parts. He will buy them for less than you, so if you buy them you'll pay more overall.

If a mark-up is the way he makes part of his income and you take that away he'll just switch it to his labour charge and you'll pay more overall.

Also, people have their favourites, there's the issue of a guarantee and choosing the right sort of CU (can be affected by the type of earth your supply has).

The OSG and GN1 have sections on maximum demand and diversity, and you can also read about it here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.2.1.htm

And unless you have a huge house with extremes in terms of appliances and loading........it's plain sailing.

I hate customers who buy their own kit
I hate customers who expect us to fit cheap ****

Actually I do have quite a large place as there is a granny flat alongside the main house. At the moment the system consists of 2 seperate consumer units but to make a neater job I thought it might be possible to utilise a Wylex 17 Way Insulated Flexible Split Load but wasnt sure whether the main breaker in this would cover the full load for the various circuits, hence my question.

Check your supplier cut-out fuse. If it is 100A then this is your limit anyway and most CU's have 100A rated main disconnector. You may have a lower value cut-out 60A is sometimes found.

Need to be a little careful with RCD ratings.....most CU's have an 80amp RCD, and the cheap & ****e ones have a 63 :oops:

This is for split loads, and when the RCD is the incommer.

best rule of thumb for domestics is make the incomer and if applicable split rcd rated to at least the rating of the service fuse.

there are diversity guidelines in the regs but they tend to give a large overestimate for normal domestic situations (we'd all need 100A 3 phase supplies if those guidelines were followed).

I suspect your incomming cable to be 100amp max as is normal for domestic use on individuall dwellings. If you have a larger house or somewhat excessive loads you would have had to have a three phase system. I doubt you have this as you would be rubbing your head even looking at it.
For the ammount you may save its not worth the risk, let the electrician supply it, if there is a fault its down to him, if you supply a cheap crap board and a problem occurs with parts, guess what it will cost you dearly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back