Consumer unit tripping; advice please.

The RCCB triping could be down to a few reasons:
*Faulty appliance (including attached flex and plug)
*Loose connections of installation
*Damaged/worn insilation of cables
*Faulty RCCB
*Moisture ingress

At the moment it is a process of elimination, so by unplugging the items that are on at night (when the trip occurs), could start to narrow the fault down to appliance, circuit and/or accessory.
Although you say your heating is not on at night I guess your boiler is still electrically connected.
The problem is to narrow down the reason behind the tripping, is that the appliances require both poles to be removed from the circuit (to prevent earth leakage via the neutral), so simply switching off at plug, light switch or some isolators does not mean you have disconnected both poles. So unplug the items that can be unplugged to start with.
The outside light which is attached to lighting circuit would require disconnecting, unless it is connected via a double pole switch(for reasons above)
Unplug/disconnect one or two items each night, then introduce them and unplug a differing one or two items and see how it goes, don't rule out the RCCB being faulty, but that will require special testing and can be considered if unplugging appliances have not resolved the issue.

Sponsored Links
At the moment it is a process of elimination, so by unplugging the items that are on at night (when the trip occurs), could start to narrow the fault down to appliance, circuit and/or accessory.
Rather call a competent electrician, who uses the NAPIT fault finding procedure for RCD's :eek:

Regards

Rather call a competent electrician, who uses the NAPIT*** fault finding procedure for RCD's :eek:

Regards

*** Other competent registration schemes, and in fact, competent persons are available!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Rather call a competent electrician, who uses the NAPIT fault finding procedure for RCD's :eek:
I would not know what NAPIT's fault finding and test procedures are, are there members robotically trained differently to others?

But calling a competent electrician could be an option, after doing a little non-intrusive self investigation. I would not particular preach that it be a NAPIT member though.
I would rather point them in the direction of a locally based ELECSA member ;)

Rather call a competent electrician, who uses the NAPIT*** fault finding procedure for RCD's :eek:

Regards

*** Other competent registration schemes, and in fact, competent persons are available!! ;)

A "competent person" is not proven by means of registration with a scheme provider! As one who is currently registered with the NICEIC, and previously registered with NAPIT; I can vouch for their RCD fault finding charts! :cool:

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back