Consumer unit within 1M of shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time I've posted on here, I'm a plumber who has been asked to turn a downstairs utility room into a shower room with shower enclosure and basin, no bath.

The utility room is to be split into a shower room and a dressing room

The consumer unit is in the corner of what will be the shower room with a door into the dressing room and the shower will go only in one place and will be 1M away.

Does the consumer unit need to be moved or can a cupboard be built around it? The room will have a fan but is small and will be subject to steam.

Or is it best to build a stud wall and have it closed off from the shower room and have another door to it from the dressing room?

Customer would prefer access from the shower room if possible due to chest of drawers on wall in dressing room.

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot have a consumer unit in a shower room.

Appliances etc. in bath/shower rooms must be suitable for the environment and CUs are not.

Plus the fact that only one meter away would be dangerous.

As far as the zones are concerned the CU would be outside them and it's fixed equipment.
But as ELFI has mentioned the location is not suitable for this unit.

BS7671:2008, 512.2 covers this:

512.2.1:
Equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.
512.2.2:
If the equipment does not by it's construction, have the characteristics relevant to the external influences of its location, it may nevertheless be used on condition that it is provided with appropriate additional protection in the erection of the installation. Such protection shall not adversely affect the operation of the equipment protected.

The sensible answer is no the CU cannot remain there if there is going to be a shower there as well.

That said it could in theory be left there if the neccessary IP protection was installed around the consumer unit. But that would prevent it being accessed quickly in an emergency thus defeating the point of having a main switch there.

Humidity will adversely over time affect the operation of the MCBs and RCDs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice!

Thats all I needed to know, I'd tell them they'll need to access it from the dressing room and I'll build a stud wall to seperate the whole thing from the shower room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back