Consumer unit

GTL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install 2 handwash water heaters each 2 or 3kw. I have no room in my existing consumer unit and plan to use a smaller consumer unit. How do I bring power from the existing unit to the new one and what size of cable leads do I need? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Some modern CUs have a second set of output terminals on the main incomer - if so you can use those, and you should use the same size tails as the current ones, probably 16mm² or 25mm².

If you can't do it that way, then you'll have to split the existing tails using henley block(s) - again, use the same size tails. Unless you have an isolator, this approach will require the service fuse to be pulled, not something that is generally advised for DIYers. And if you don't have an isolator, fit one while the tails are dead, as you should have a single point of isolation for the whole installation.

Some DNOs will come out and fit an isolator for a reasonable sum - it is worth checking with yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back