Wiring Storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to connect up 3 Storage heaters(1 med size and 2 small) in a small cottage. I have run seperate cables to each and intend to connect them up to their own small consumer unit.
The meter for the cottage is in a neighbouring house, it is just the main consumer unit that is in the cottage. There is a spare in the main consumer unit.
Is it possible(sensible?) to connect up the new storage heater consumer unit to the existing consumer unit.
If this is how I should do it should I also get the existing electric meter changed for an Economy 7 meter?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The heaters should each be connected to it's own mcb on their own consumer unit. You should also get the meter changed before connection as they draw a lot of power and on normal rate the bill would be astronomical.

They will be connected to their own consumer unit, but where do I connect the consumer unit up to?

An off peak supply will be needed for you to utilise cheap rate electricity. This will involve the electricity supplier and testing will be required, not only to comply with regulations, but also before they will connect up.

Sponsored Links
They will be connected to their own consumer unit, but where do I connect the consumer unit up to?

You need an off-peak feed which will usually be supplied by the DNO, either direct from the meter which will have two sets of load tails, or through a teleswitch. So you will need to get tails or submain from the CU to the meter location.

That's my problem, I cannot get cable run from the proposed Storage Heating Consumer unit to the meter, that is why I was asking if it was possible to connect it up to the main Consumer Unit (the one in the pic)

If your not going to run them off an off-peak supply, theres no point having storage heaters, its just a waste of energy otherwise.

Just use a standard convector heater.

That's my problem, I cannot get cable run from the proposed Storage Heating Consumer unit to the meter, that is why I was asking if it was possible to connect it up to the main Consumer Unit (the one in the pic)

It is likely the total load of the storage heaters would exceed the maximum possible on one way of the consumer unit.

Storage heaters usually use 20A radial circuits so 4 x 20A = 80A.

If you can't get through the house on the inside can you run submain in armoured round the outside?

Unfortunately there is 20m between buildings and a tarmac drive which I don't want to tear up.
Is it possible to replace the main consumer unit with one that would do the 3 storage heaters (1 med size and 2x smallest size) and the normal household circuits?
The cottage is very small so won't be much electricity used. I am about to sell the place so I might not even go to the hassle of changing the meter.
Just looking for the easiest solution, thanks for all the help.

Do you have a main isolator fuse in the building?or is it in the other property? If yes to the first question, what size is it? You could fit Henley Blocks and feed the two consumer units from these.

There really is no point using STORAGE heaters if you dont have an off-peak supply.

If your going to use standard rate electricity, then use a standard convector or fan heater.

cassidt, Storage heaters cost a lot of money. This is because they contain large bricks which STORE heat during the night. This heat is then slowly released during the day, but doesnt use any electricity during the day. This method of heating uses cheap night rate electricity which needs a second meter (or a meter with 2 dials). If you dont have a second meter, you wont get this cheap rate supply, even if you have two rates on your bill. On a standard single rate tarrif, the two rates are simply to reward heavy users of electricity, giving units over 800 or so at half the price. On a dual rate tarrif, the two rates are night and day.

IF YOU HAVE SINGLE RATE ELECTRICITY, and have no intention of getting dual rate, please ditch the storage idea and buy some cheap convection heaters, which take in electric and give out instant heat. This will cost you less in the short term, but much, much more in the long term.

By the way, how was the house heated previously? Your house will loose value if the heating costs a lot to run (as this will, cottage or not)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back