Economy 7 meter faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an economy 7 meter which has reading for peak and off peak cycles.

I am told it is meant to send a signal to the off peak electricity consumer unit and turn this on during the off peak cycle. The storage heaters are connected to this off peak consumer unit and so should only receive supply during this time.

However this off peak consumer unit is permanently live, therefore the storage heaters are getting a supply even during the day. Is this an indication of a faulty meter which should switch it off during the day?

Sponsored Links
Some pictures of the meter and surrounding components would help.

As well as a pic of the off peak consumer unit

You say it's supplying power to the heater during the day; is it showing a supply on the meter, i.e. numbers advancing, or is it that the heaters are pushing heat out all day?

You say it's supplying power to the heater during the day; is it showing a supply on the meter, i.e. numbers advancing, or is it that the heaters are pushing heat out all day?

the former so the supply to the storage heaters are recorded as peak prices since it is supplied during the day.

Sponsored Links
The meter is not yours. If you think something is not functioning properly you have to inform your supplier.

The meter is not yours. If you think something is not functioning properly you have to inform your supplier.

I know that but just wondered if the meter is responsible for switching the off peak consumer unit on and off as I was told before I tell them as it may have nothing to do with the meter.

It does not turn the consumer unit itself on and off.

The meter turns its SUPPLY to the consumer unit on and off, so if this is at the wrong times then the problem can only be with the meter and/or any associated timing equipment.
All of this is the responsibility of the energy supplier.

As above. PICTURES of all of this would help be more definitive.

Has it always been like this? Or has it suddenly stopped working properly?

What make/model of meter, as said before pics would help.

If its a modern single meter with two rates and only one output, it would rely on external timers to activate the heating, it wouldn't be switched by the meter itself. It would just register your usage between say 0500-2200 on rate 1, and your usage between say 2200-0500 on rate 2, and not switch anything on or off. It might have been wired differently and stopped working as it should if a meter replacement has happened...

Photos woud help.

I have seen MANY meter replacements in the last couple years where although the meter is dual rate E7, it does NO switching. The meter installer just makes both supplies live all the time and says the timing is down to customer.

Its wrong, but there seems to be little you can do. Npower and EDF seems to be the main culprit of this in my experience.

PHOTOS!

Usually the customer is happy at first to get rid of their large collection of "big ugly dial meters" and have a nice little Ampy meter to do the same thing, until they realise it doesn't do the same thing :LOL: usually after getting a big bill

Photos woud help.

I have seen MANY meter replacements in the last couple years where although the meter is dual rate E7, it does NO switching. The meter installer just makes both supplies live all the time and says the timing is down to customer.

Its wrong, but there seems to be little you can do. Npower and EDF seems to be the main culprit of this in my experience.

PHOTOS!

r1.jpg
[/img]

Some pictures of the meter and surrounding components would help.

As well as a pic of the off peak consumer unit

We know what a meter looks like.!!
We want to see, as well, all of the other gubbins that it connects to. - consumer units, timers, meter tails, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back