Economy 7 meter faulty?

Depends on the meter, and the timers. There are a number of ways that this is/can be done.
Need more images

Sponsored Links
As I have TRIED to say above. It depends on how it is set up.

Some dual-rate meters have the timing embedded in them so there are no external timers. These meters have two outputs:
a 24 hour one for your lights etc
an E7 one that only becomes live at off peak times. These usually have a separate consumer unit for the off peak devices.

In some set ups there are external timers. Some of these can be provided as part of the supply arrangements (ie a timer supplied by the lekky company). These effectively work the same as an embedded time.

In some set ups, the meter provides cheap electricty to everything at off peak times, so it is uip to you to install timers that only switch on when its cheapest.

So, again, we need "PICHERS" of the output side of the meter to advise further.

As I have TRIED to say above. It depends on how it is set up.

Some dual-rate meters have the timing embedded in them so there are no external timers. These meters have two outputs:
a 24 hour one for your lights etc
an E7 one that only becomes live at off peak times. These usually have a separate consumer unit for the off peak devices.

In some set ups there are external timers. Some of these can be provided as part of the supply arrangements (ie a timer supplied by the lekky company). These effectively work the same as an embedded time.

In some set ups, the meter provides cheap electricty to everything at off peak times, so it is uip to you to install timers that only switch on when its cheapest.

So, again, we need "PICHERS" of the output side of the meter to advise further.

The arrangement used to be the first of your description until the current meter was installed two years ago so it is now your second arrangement.

The external timers are placed between the meter and the off peak consumer unit to which the storage heaters are connected. These timers appear to be faulty as they are on 24/7 supplying feed to the off peak consumer unit even during the day.

EDF is sending someone out to look at the meter so hopefully they will fix the timers which appears to be the problem here.

Sponsored Links
How do you know the timers are the responsibility of EDF??

I think this may be a bone of contention from the replies to my post which I will need to manage.

My argument would be that any equipment before the consumer unit belongs to the supplier as occupants are not meant to tamper with equipment before the consumer unit, that is the meter and so it follows also that external timers which feed the consumer units. Any electrical equipment after the consumer unit would then be the consumer's responsibility.

My other argument would be that the previous meter activated the off peak consumer unit and so the new meter should do the same, and if it did not then it is EDF's responsibility to install external timers to facilitate this as I should be put in the same position as before the new meter was installed.

Everything after the meter is yours and thus your responsibility. This includes the meter tails from the meter to your consumer unit.

I would agree though, that at the very least they should have informed you that the new meter was no longer switching the supply so you could have installed your own timeclock etc.

Is there actually a time clock present?

Everything after the meter is yours and thus your responsibility. This includes the meter tails from the meter to your consumer unit.

I would agree though, that at the very least they should have informed you that the new meter was no longer switching the supply so you could have installed your own timeclock etc.

Is there actually a time clock present?

I had a new storage heater installed and the electrician report stated that the timeswitch equipment seals to the off peak consumer unit were removed by persons unknown. I assume that this means that the timeswitch is there but someone had tampered with the seal. This indicates that the timeswitch belongs to EDF which is protected by the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back