consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just signed up and tried to post my first topic, but it seems to have been lost in the 'ether', or I made a mistake.

My consumer unit is rated max 60amps and comprises MCB's 3 x30 amp, 2 x 5 amp, 1 x 15 amp. One of the 5 amp is not in use. I propose to to replace gas hob with electric and replace existing electric oven. Depending on the choice of each item, can I replace the spare 5 amp MCB with 32/45 amp MCB or will I have to replace the consumer unit for 100 amp?

Sponsored Links
hi

3 x 30 = 90 ... so why do you ask this question, since its already over 60amps

change the 5 amp to what you want, and aslong as you dont exceed 60 amps at the same time then you are ok

changing to 100 amp would be best - but asking if you need to implies you need a qualified person to do it legally

Are you sure that you have mcbs? the current figures you quote are normally associated with fuses!

It's pushing the load up all the time - you really should think about replacing the CU. You may also find that there is a limit to the maximum rating of device you can put in there, irrespective of the total load.

And those ratings imply older Type 1's, so the whole thing is getting to be "of an age".

Serious question - have you ever cooked on an electric hob?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back