New Consumer unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me please of a good place i can get a new Consumer unit at the right price wich is good for the money as i carnt seem to find a 45 mcb for the one i have hear, its a old MED CU and ive looked around but carnt find a 45 amp for this unit for my shower.

Need one that will have the mcbs with it

6 mcb's =

Lights 5 amp,
Sockets 30 amp,
Water heater 15 amps,
Fire 15 amps,
Cooker 30 amps,
shower 45 amps.

Cheers for any info on this as its noing what to get for the right money.

Sponsored Links
Replacing a Consumer Unit is NOT a DIY job. You need to be qualified and have to issue a Electrical Installation Certificate. The installation has to be completly tested before starting the replacement. The work is also notifiable to Local Area Building Control.

Yes m8 we understand that, i was or am going to get the CU and then get someone in the no to fit it for me ho has the papers .
Ino that it is not a DIY job and i ant going to mess about with it.

Cheers Anyway but still ant found one, could do with some help to find one that is right for the job i need.

Buying your own consumer unit and then asking an electrician to fit it will not save you anything.
Tradesmen usually get a discount on parts due to a ralationship with the wholesaler. This is one of the perks and will mean the quote takes this into account. Buying your own can have several disadvantages.
1. Cost will be higher due to no trade discount on parts.
2. Electrician may not be familiar with the make you purchase.
3. Electrician may refuse to use poor quality materials.
4. job could take longer adding to the cost.

Question: would you go to the Dentist and ask him to use your filling material?

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more QED - like many electricians these days I offer a year's guarantee on any gear I fit - if it fails because it is poor/defective then I will replace it totally free of charge!

I will sometimes fit materials supplied by the customer (NO VOLEX!) but in return, will give no guarantee on the equipment or the wiring!

Last year I agreed to fit a consumer unit supplied by the customer. I reckon it took me a good hour longer than the make I usually use because of its poor construction and awkward layout. I charged exactly the same as I would have if I'd also supplied the unit.

It was a SquareD unit and he'd paid about £20 more than I would have paid for a decent make!

M8 all is well got the cu installed to day got me 9.5 shower wired in now as well and all is Magic.

:D Cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back