consumer unit mcb values

They are sold at B&Q stores - There is a major design fault with the 5amp fuse in this type of consumer unit, it is very easy to accidentally insert a plug top type of five amp fuse into the holder,

Plug tops are the screwed cover on a plug and don't have fuses.

Sponsored Links
That would be a "screwed cover which belongs to a plug top" you are thinking of Winston

You and BAS can like it or lump it, but plug top is a perfectly accepted term to most sparkies and wholesalers etc.

It also avoids confusion with the thing that fits in the bottom of a hand basin!

Better calling it a plug top (I have no problem with this btw) than calling a socket a 'plug socket'

Sponsored Links
That would be a "screwed cover which belongs to a plug top" you are thinking of Winston

You and BAS can like it or lump it, but plug top is a perfectly accepted term to most sparkies and wholesalers etc.

It also avoids confusion with the thing that fits in the bottom of a hand basin!

Wrong both you and wholesalers. A plug top IS the screwed cover, it does not have another one. It's amazing that wholesalers don't know what they are selling!

Better calling it a plug top (I have no problem with this btw) than calling a socket a 'plug socket'
I have to say that I'm the other way around. "Plug top" is just silly and meaningless, and I can't imagine how on earth it came into being. However, even though the meaning of "socket" will nearly always be obvious because of the context, at least qualifying "socket" with "plug" removes theoretical ambiguity - since what goes into a socket could be a plug, but could, for example, also be a soil (or other) pipe, a bolt head, nut or screw, the stump of an amputated limb or countless other things.

Kind Regards, John

I will have to try to find it, in one of my 1930s electrical magazines I'm sure I saw an advert for plugs (sockets) and plug tops (plugs).

"Plug top" is just silly and meaningless, and I can't imagine how on earth it came into being.
Quite. The term just suddenly seemed to appear out of nowhere, for no particular reason.

And just because many electricians and wholesalers might use the term, that doesn't make it right. How many computer stores will sell you an "RJ-45" patch lead for your network connection, or a "DB9" serial cable? Both have come into common usage, and both are wrong.

In the trade, they are called plug tops.

And so that's what you ask for, otherwise it turns into a Two Ronnies sketch.

Nobody knows why they're called that, but they've been called that for many, many decades.

As regards to the original question. It's an 80s house, no doubt quite small and thrown up in a few weeks.

If the circuits aren't
Cooker 30A
Sockets 30A
Immersion 15A
Lighting 5A
I'll eat my hat.

Maybe not, but that's what many people in the electrical industry making, selling and buying them would call them. Same with colleges.

I didn't name them that,but that's what people called them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back