replacing cartridge fuses with mcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
re: my earlier post on the consumer unit in a 25 year old house with cartridge fuses

the fitters are coming in to do my new kitchen and will be shutting off the power for a bit and the gas

i have sourced mcb's which are proteus parts to replace my proteus consumer units cartridge fuses.

as mentioned there are only 4 to change as listed above 30/30/15/5

in hope i ask, please

some help in changing them as to how they are fixed

the power will be off completely and i think i may have about 3 hours till the fitters have installed the wiring for my hob and oven, fridge

looking forward to your replies
cheers
geof

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/consumer-unit-mcb-values.448351/#ixzz3w14lZdo3

Sponsored Links
Just shut off the main switch, unplug the cartridge fuse holders, and plug in the retrofit breakers in their place (the coloured fuse shields should not need changing, as the cartridge fuse shields are the same as the breaker shields). Turn the supply back on - job done.

No. They are not Wylex plug in efforts.
It's a despicable 1980s Proteus thing.

tell me more...is disconnecting any wiring involved and reconnecting same..??

thanks for picking that up...!!

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
$T2eC16J,%21zcE9s4g0u3tBRn3edl,l%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

They fit on dinrail one side and the wire is in the other side
Have you ever fitted an mcb and no disrespect but do you feel competent to do it

Those lid 'screws' push in and quarter turn. Don't force them or they break! Good luck, these are really poor quality boards.

(the coloured fuse shields should not need changing, as the cartridge fuse shields are the same as the breaker shields). Turn the supply back on - job done.

Regarding the WYLEX
I dont think they are actually, the base for mcbs are different thickness to the fuse bases, and will affect how far the pins go into the blades
Its poor advise to change just one part.

$T2eC16J,%21zcE9s4g0u3tBRn3edl,l%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

They fit on dinrail one side and the wire is in the other side
Have you ever fitted an mcb and no disrespect but do you feel competent to do it

no disrespect taken...i feel competent to do it and understand the concept

i assume the incoming live is a bus where the mcb is placed on and the feed side is wired directly to the live on the circuit in some way
i have the tools so i am game...and the installation will be completely dead right back to the meter as the fitters require an elcb fitted on the incoming main as there isnt one on the unit... and they wont sign off the job unless there is one on their installation

cheers
geof...and thanks

Can I ask why you wish to change to MCBs?

i thought it might be easier to isolate a circuit without having to shut down all the circuits on the board to avoid arcing, removing a cartridge and doing the same to make live the circuit again
this is what i have been told is correct

(the coloured fuse shields should not need changing, as the cartridge fuse shields are the same as the breaker shields). Turn the supply back on - job done.

Regarding the WYLEX
I dont think they are actually, the base for mcbs are different thickness to the fuse bases, and will affect how far the pins go into the blades

If rewire-able fuses the bases need changing.

If cartridge fuses you may not need to change bases

Regarding the WYLEX

If rewire-able fuses the bases need changing.

If cartridge fuses you may not need to change bases

Again regarding WYLEX

Maybe
You would not know that till you remove the base and check, who knows someone prior may of left a fuse base in prior to the cartridge head.
Seen it in pubs were laziness has left breakers protruding different lengths
The new head and base are matched to allow the correct length of fork into the blades.
What advantage is there not to change both, the supply should be isolated first anyway,so low hazard risk, rather than leaving a wrong base creating an unnessacary fire risk

Ps wheres spell check nowadays :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back