Plug fuse or cartridge fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am going to put a new fuse in my consumer unit, thing is i am having
a great deal of trouble finding a shop that has any 5amp cartridge fuses for consumer units. I can find the normal 5amp fuses easily, so will it be advisable to install the normal 5amp fuses ?. And also what is the diference between the two? as they look exactly the same.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, I think it is a Wylex, it is cream. Sorry I am at work atm so i can't be positive.

Almost certainly a Wylex Standard.

You can buy the fuses at any Electrical supplier (the kind of place that sells things to Electricians, not a kettle shop).

However, for about £7 retail you can buy an MCB, which, like a fuse, trips in the event of an overload, but can be reset by flicking a switch or pressing a button, so you never have to buy or fit another fuse. They are available in 6A (replaces old 5A), 16A, 20A and 32A. 45A is also available but there are additional questions if you think you need one.
BTW, did the fuse blow when a light bulb failed, or is there another cause?
p1989835_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...howMany=15&searchText=wylex+plug+mcb&x=7&y=10

Used ones are usually about £2.50 each on ebay and often sold in sets of 4 or 6 to suit a typical house installation.

p.s. if you put your email address in your Profile for half an hour someone may offer you one - I hope that isn't against forum rules?

Sponsored Links
great thanks john.

Yes i flicked the light switch and the light bulb shot out of the light fitting lioke a bullet, leaving its metal base in the light attachment.

Does it look like this?

606.jpg

p.s. a cunning trick to getting the metal base out of a lampholder without getting cut by the broken glass...

Turn off the power, get a fresh carrot, cut it so the stump is the size of the bulb base or a little smaller, push afainst the base, turn, remove ;)

JohnD said:
Does it look like this?

606.jpg

No it is my mains for all my electrics, it has seperate fuses for the heating ,lighting, sockets ,cooker ..etc it has two mains switches for circuit a and b.

OK. That is a typical Wylex consumer unit of the very common "Standard" range - on this one there are 6 fusecarriers under the squarish cover.

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera and put up a pic of yours, we should be able to identify it.

There are a few more recent Wylex ranges, NB, NH, NS (from memory). You may find an identification on the casing or fuseholder. If you know when yours was installed that will also help.

thing is all i need to know is : can you use a 5amp plug fuse instead of a 5amp cartridge fuse?, they are both the same size. And also what is the difference between the two types of fuses?

Sorry, don't know. Fuses for UK plugs are BS1362, fuses for Consumer units are mostly BS1361 and come in different sizes so that you can't fit the incorrect rating of fuse into a circuit.

Not really, slight difference in physical size and the breaking capacities are different (though the plug fuse can break as much as a standard domestic mcb - 6ka), different fusing factor, etc

I'd advise against it

Valmyre said:
thing is all i need to know is : can you use a 5amp plug fuse instead of a 5amp cartridge fuse?, they are both the same size. And also what is the difference between the two types of fuses?
you can force it in (its slightly bigger) and it will work and be safe (plug fuses have a plenty high enough rupture capacity) but it still smacks of cowboyishness.

No. Don't be tempted. It's not the right thing to do, as shown by your hesitancy.

For one thing, as mentioned BS1361 fuses are slightly shorter. If you suceed in fitting a BS1362 fuse in a BS1361 holder, I'd be surprised.

You can buy these fuses from B&Q, or a wholesaler. Or, as suggested, buy a replacement MCB.

securespark said:
For one thing, as mentioned BS1361 fuses are slightly shorter. If you suceed in fitting a BS1362 fuse in a BS1361 holder, I'd be surprised.
im sure ive seen reports on one of theese forums of a wylex 5A carrier containing a 13A plug fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back